Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshots, Activity level, and EPM Inconsistencies

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
11 of 31

@Krisztina U wrote:

This has nothing to do with the new app and was always tracked this way.......

Yes this is true, I was replying to a question re if I was using the new app. I would like some clarification on the EPM : activity values from Valeria, whenever she gets online.

But the annoyance of the new app having ZERO features, apart from chat is a backward step.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
12 of 31

One of the many reasons why I don't work on hourly jobs. I did it once and will never do it again.

Here's my full list to why I hate hourly jobs:

- Headaches with looking at activity levels

- Some clients are absolute pain and will ask for every minute and look at every screenshot

- Your eyes cannot flicker because you have fears the App captures your screenshot

- You feel someone is watching you like you're in school or something

- You wait One Week review + 6-security days + no matter how many days are left in the current week  you're working in. If you worked Monday August 17th, you literally get paid Sunday September 6th (holy what!!!)

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
13 of 31

@Wassim T wrote:
If you worked Monday August 17th, you literally get paid Sunday September 6th (holy what!!!)

I get paid once a week on all my hourly contracts, every Wednesday.

creativedigit
Community Guru
14 of 31

Hi Natasha,

Yes I think this works great for people who only work on hourly jobs... But not occasionally like I did.

I enjoy working on Fixed price jobs because I'm very fast at what I do. So I basically handle on a job, finish it fast and deliver it and get paid.

I think you're right about what you said... So people on this site should either work on hourly jobs or fixed price jobs...  I think they should make a decision. If they mix them up it won't work well for them. 

What do you think?

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
15 of 31

@Wassim T wrote:

people on this site should either work on hourly jobs or fixed price jobs...  I think they should make a decision. If they mix them up it won't work well for them. 

It worked well for me. I started out with mixing fixed price and hourly projects. The security clearance period could be shorter, at the same time, in the real world clients often take 30-60 days (or even longer!) to pay, so 10 days is nothing. And waiting for 10 days only becomes a problem if someone is forced to live from their hand to their mouth, in which case securing a profitable hourly job may be the solution.

creativedigit
Community Guru
16 of 31

Thanks Krisztina but honestly that was the last item on my list and it's the least important for me. The ones above are the ones I am more concerned about. I know I'll get my money now or later so it's totally fine. And by the way even on Escrow jobs if the client forgets to release the funds and you request it, it takes a month on Elance and three weeks on Upwork. Getting paid was just a detail but still I don't understand why should we wait if the client is happy with the work and they left us good feedback and closed out the contract and got us paid through the system.

I mean it's like the client has paid you cash, but Upwork keeps it for some vague security period which makes no sense to anyone. What's even worse is that they keep explaning the 6-days security period every time, and I don't get it everytime. I managed to get my bachelor degree in Engineering years ago with the most complex subjects, but can't seem to understand what does this have to to do with security everytime it's explained.

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
17 of 31

@Wassim T wrote:

Hi Natasha,

Yes I think this works great for people who only work on hourly jobs... But not occasionally like I did.

I enjoy working on Fixed price jobs because I'm very fast at what I do. So I basically handle on a job, finish it fast and deliver it and get paid.

I think you're right about what you said... So people on this site should either work on hourly jobs or fixed price jobs...  I think they should make a decision. If they mix them up it won't work well for them. 

What do you think?

Sure, whatever works best for you Smiley Happy

I know many prefer fixed contracts, so I hope one day they remove the security hold period of 6 days. Once the work has been reviewed, approved and paid by the client, money should be released.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 31

Wassim,

I agree with virtually everything you wrote about hourly jobs but I still do them. One thing you *can* do (although I don't) is ask the client to allow manual time. That liberates you from the time tracker but then your hours are no longer guaranteed, which is why I do use the tracker. As to why I do hourly jobs in the first place, there are 2 main reasons.

1. So I can qualify for jobs requiring xxx hours. I still have a long ways to go until I qualify for jobs requiring 1000 hours, which is a ludicrous requirement anyway, but I can personally attest that 500 hours is achievable.
  2. In the process of accumulating first 100, then 500 hours, I accumulated repeat clients who keep the original hourly contracts open in case they need additional work.

But like you, all things being equal I far prefer fixed price work.

19 of 31

You're right John. I wouldn't use Manual Time Logging even when the client allows that. I am aware of the xxx number of hours found on Upwork. It's totally unfair. I mean I have completed over 70 jobs and generated quite some decent money that even some people who logged 1000 hours here didn't generate. Yet, I only have 16 hours logged on Upwork (and 0 hours logged on Elance by the way even though I am ranked in top #20 contractors in Middle East & Central Asia on all categories).

I really think Upwork should do something about this. Maybe they should display the number of hours worked to clients posting hourly jobs, and the number of jobs completed for clients posting Escrow jobs.

I really don't know but honestly the way it is right now is so unfair.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
20 of 31

If you were a independent consultant who worked for a bricks and mortar company, you will send the company a bill for your services and then the company would have 30 days to pay you.

Given your scenario you would be paid September 2 not the 7th, a total of 11 days, and you are not waiting the 30 days of the bricks and mortar world.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS