🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » So I got this email...
Page options
saydou

So I got this email...

So I got this email from Upwork which says '10 NEW jobs for you' I guess it is the new perk Upwork was mentioning the other day. Here are the things I found out after checking the list of the jobs.

1. Jobs are not relevant (they are mainly translations to other languages)

2. They are not NEW (in fact they are 2 days old, 7 days old, 12 days old, 2 months old etc)

3. They are already filled

4. Some of them didn't have a verified payment method

My point is you can't call this a perk.

8 REPLIES 8
phuongdo

This feature is here for century and you can ignore it, I never find any matched/active jobs from these emails. What I'm doing is periodically go to odesk/upwork and search the old search again and again.

charliemanas

Totally agree, completely waste of time after checking the jobs. Not relevant, not verified payment methods, old or somebody was already hired... TOP RATED system needs to improve a few bugs Smiley Frustrated

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kamaal,

Can you please send me a screenshot of the email you received and job post links in a pm, so I can check if these are regular job recommendations and also escalate them to our team?

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladamir,

No, this is not the regular job recommendations, it is the new perk for the Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers.

I sent you screenshot and job links so you can check it.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks Kamaal, I'm following up with the team.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

@Kamaal M wrote:

Hi Vladamir,

No, this is not the regular job recommendations, it is the new perk for the Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers.

I sent you screenshot and job links so you can check it.

Wow.. I am not sure what is worse. When the new perk literally fails like that or... my situation.... where I don't get those emails at all.  

lisaforbes

Same here. One job (the only relevent one) was 21 days old. One job was not even posted in English, the rest were completely irrelevent.

evetodew

Is it only me who gets all such job recommendations relevant? I did get this email today with 10 recommendations, and the few I checked were recent. I even applied to one of them. True, the other few jobs I checked had a '1 Hired'.

I think it depends on how closely you're marketing yourself to your particular niche. I target only logo and branding. Nothing else. I'm very very specific! I notice that graphic designers list everything possible they can that's design oriented. Other people offer different services, and it can get messy. I think the recommendation algorithm can produce the wrong results if one's profile lists way too many different skills or services.

I am totally wild-guessing here, so don't take my word for it. I'm just saying that I always get related recommendations. For either logo or brand design. Sometimes I receive packaging design, but I've done that type of work before, so I guess the algorithm picks up that one too - your previous experience.