cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Upwork, this security breach?

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
41 of 60

I didn't experience the whatever it was but I changed my password without problems.

We really DO need a very complete answer as to what happened, who was involved and what is going on to prevent a recurrence.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
42 of 60

Doesn't this thread remind everyone about something else???? Something similar in the time it took for answers and fixes??? Something about talent agents????? Need I say more????

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
43 of 60

Kathy, yes, and I agree ... except this is FAR MORE SERIOUS. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
44 of 60

Kathy T wrote:

Doesn't this thread remind everyone about something else???? Something similar in the time it took for answers and fixes??? Something about talent agents????? Need I say more????

In fairness that went from "We don't care what you think or say, we will carry on and there is nothing wrong with it!" to "we have stopped doing this!"

This "thing" and its possible ramifications, however, was huge so I doubt anyone will be allowed to say a word until it's gone through top level and legal and back a few times.

Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
45 of 60

I would suggest asking these same questions to UpWork's public Twitter and/or Facebook...

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
46 of 60

Have at it, Amanda.  

Marcus D Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
47 of 60

The 72 hour deadline has now passed, and all affected subjects have NOT been notified. 

Report this to your local DPA as discribed here: 

https://www.businessbrew.io/blog/gdpr-how-to-report-a-personal-data-breach

Community Leader
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
48 of 60

I hope we don't see this on the main page soon

depositphotos_44922467-stock-illustration-sorry-we-re-closed.jpg

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
49 of 60

I have just read the post of a freelancer whose profile was hijacked, and as a result his account has been suspended. Naturally, there has been no comment from a moderator on this. Is this another question that is too difficult to answer? 

I do not think Upwork should be suspending any freelancer accounts until this security breach has been clarified.  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
50 of 60

Nichola L wrote:

I have just read the post of a freelancer whose profile was hijacked, and as a result his account has been suspended. Naturally, there has been no comment from a moderator on this. Is this another question that is too difficult to answer? 

I do not think Upwork should be suspending any freelancer accounts until this security breach has been clarified.  

Nichola, when someone believes that their account has been compromised, the account is immediately locked down to prevent any (further) attempts to access it my a possible unauthorized person. This is purely a security measure until the rightful owner of the account can be determined and the intruder locked out and identified. Or the "hacking"  or "hijacking" has been proved to be a false alarm.

NOT locking everything down when there is a chance of anything fishy going on would be insane.

It is done purely to protect the account and only until the rightful owner has been determined.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS