Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, a client couldn't find me in search

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
1 of 14

I don't want to bash Upwork. It's been really good to me, but one thing stands out -- search is not working well. Clients can't find me. I know that search has been an issue, and I think it needs to be revisited.

My story: I was referred by another one of my clients. Luckily, there has been a lot of email back and forth and I had a GoToMeeting with him today. I asked him to set up an Upwork contract. He's a platinum tier client, (so he knows how to work the system) and he has great feedback. I want him as a client! Well, he tried to search me and couldnt find me to invite me. The only reason it worked out was because we had each other's email and he asked me for my profile link. 

I know it worked out, but how many people search me after interacting with me on other platforms? I mention a lot that I work on Upwork and their escrow system is great. It's frustrating when I point people to the platform and they can't find me. It adds an extra layer to the frustration and I need customers to be able to commit without hassle.

So, anyway, please look into search, guys. It's been a point of frustration for me.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
2 of 14

That is really inconvenient. I can imagine how frustrated you'd be. Good thing you had alternate communication set up. 

I was going to say that people looking for you can find you on the left hand side, but this is a very serious issue. it's your livelihood that the platform is playing with. Not only yours but also, no doubt, thousands of others. 

I hope that Upwork takes this seriously because you do pay good money in fees to the company. 

@Jennifer M wrote:

I don't want to bash Upwork. It's been really good to me, but one thing stands out -- search is not working well. Clients can't find me. I know that search has been an issue, and I think it needs to be revisited.

My story: I was referred by another one of my clients. Luckily, there has been a lot of email back and forth and I had a GoToMeeting with him today. I asked him to set up an Upwork contract. He's a platinum tier client, (so he knows how to work the system) and he has great feedback. I want him as a client! Well, he tried to search me and couldnt find me to invite me. The only reason it worked out was because we had each other's email and he asked me for my profile link. 

I know it worked out, but how many people search me after interacting with me on other platforms? I mention a lot that I work on Upwork and their escrow system is great. It's frustrating when I point people to the platform and they can't find me. It adds an extra layer to the frustration and I need customers to be able to commit without hassle.

So, anyway, please look into search, guys. It's been a point of frustration for me.

lysis10
Community Guru
3 of 14

<3 Marisssssska. Smiley Very Happy

For the most part, I don't think clients come here. Good for me or I'd probably be fired a lot. Smiley Happy

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
4 of 14

@Jennifer M wrote:

<3 Marisssssska. Smiley Very Happy

For the most part, I don't think clients come here. Good for me or I'd probably be fired a lot. Smiley Happy

Woman WinkYou liked that huh? Thought you might!

Well, at least the clients would know that you're colorful!!! Smiley Happy  

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 14

They may not be able to find you Jennifer, but in the process, they will find a lot of other freelancers, maybe way cheaper.

There is an algorithm for this :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
6 of 14

@Rene K wrote:

They may not be able to find you Jennifer, but in the process, they will find a lot of other freelancers, maybe way cheaper.

There is an algorithm for this :-)

I'm gonna hunt you down, Rene. This is my problem. Get ready to feel PAIN. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 14

You seem angry Jennifer, why are you angry?

HAL.jpeg

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
freelancingbw
Brenda W Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
8 of 14

Very frustrating - hopefully will be corrected soon.  I also had a friend search for me on Upwork (just to see if someone could) and they could not find a search or find me.  The only way they could was by using my profile link. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 14

Jennifer, I find you from my client account easily via keywords..

Clients will not find you when searching your full name because you have set your profile to "First Name - Initial" rather than your full name.

This means clients would have to search for "Jennifer M." NOT for "Jennifer Full-Surname."

Searching for Jennifer M. finds you instantly.

The option to set your displayed name as "Firstname Initial" is designed to not search for your full name, as freelancers wanted the anonymity of NOT being found in searches by their full name for privacy reasons.

If you want clients to find you by name all you have to do is set your profile name to display "Firstname Surname" rather than "Firstname Initial" as you have it now.

This is neither a glitch nor a search function malfunction, this is how it was designed to work because freelancers didn´t want strangers (or neighbours, exes, nosy friends) searching their name on the site and find out what they´re up to.

So anyone who can´t be found by name and has their profile set to "Firstname Initial:" That´s why.

@Brenda W wrote:

Very frustrating - hopefully will be corrected soon.  I also had a friend search for me on Upwork (just to see if someone could) and they could not find a search or find me.  The only way they could was by using my profile link. 

Brenda, I found you immediately by name, and easily by keywords. If you say your friend could not find a search, how could they even search for you?

I searched from my client account. Presumably it is clients you want to be found by, not random strangers, right?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 14

To confirm Petra's explanation, please have a look at the screenshots of the first page search results I received as a client when using your profile name and title.

Jennifer M.

Jennifer M..png

Jennifer M. Title.png

Brenda W.

Brenda.png

Brenda Title.png

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS