cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, a client offers and I accept a contract

tbdusty
Mercedes T B Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
1 of 5

Recently I was offered a contract without being interviewed and I accepted as it was well within my skillset and I had considered proposing to the project prior to the offer.  I did NOT submit a proposal however.

Now, I have this contract with a client that has never tried to communicate with me.  I have kept it in my jobs for a little over a week.  I have sent 3 messages through Upwork, my only contact, to the client requesting contact to no avail.

This is a first for me here on Upwork.  Should I simply cancel the contract?  How will that impact my JSS?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

@Mercedes T B wrote:

Recently I was offered a contract without being interviewed and I accepted as it was well within my skillset and I had considered proposing to the project prior to the offer.  I did NOT submit a proposal however.

I would give it at least another week or two, then end it.

IF it nips your JSS (it probably won't if it's a "one off") just use your top rated perk to remove the contract from your JSS calculation.

Personally I do not accept contracts until I've discussed the particulars with the client, and got enough to be able to get started.

tbdusty
Mercedes T B Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
3 of 5

Thank you for the advice.  I usually don't either but I did check out the author of the post and the companies he lists are legit and he is listed as a partner per the websites I checked by he name.

One more lesson learned on Upwork.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

re: "...did check out the author of the post and the companies he lists are legit and he is listed as a partner per the websites I checked by he name."

Maybe.

Maybe a completely legitimate client working for a company that pays many Upwork freelancers well.

Or maybe a scammer who copies company names off of the Internet and copies employee names from those companies' official websites.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 5

@Preston H wrote:

Or maybe a scammer who copies company names off of the Internet and copies employee names from those companies' official websites.

the scammers very rarely verify a payment method and very rarely hire via a proper Upwork contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS