🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » So many contract cancelled
Page options
lascap_01
Community Member

So many contract cancelled

How about Upwork forced clients to pay a small fee for posting new jobs? maybe there were not so many cancelled and maybe there would be less fake jobs from other freelancer to spy on others?

what do you think guys?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member


@Pascal S wrote:

How about Upwork forced clients to pay a small fee for posting new jobs? maybe there were not so many cancelled and maybe there would be less fake jobs from other freelancer to spy on others?

what do you think guys?


 Appallingly bad idea.

It might deter the fake clients, but would also deter genuine ones.

Fake clients are a nuisance, but don't cost me money. REAL clients not posting jobs costs me money, costs you money, and costs Upwork money.

 

The reason why none of the platforms do something so utterly insane is because it would be commercial suicide.

 


@Petra R wrote:


Appallingly bad idea.

It might deter the fake clients, but would also deter genuine ones.

Fake clients are a nuisance, but don't cost me money. REAL clients not posting jobs costs me money, costs you money, and costs Upwork money.

 

The reason why none of the platforms do something so utterly insane is because it would be commercial suicide.


You may well be right, Petra. But just as a matter of interest, I've recently been noticing some sites making a small charge for trial periods. (I'm not talking about sites for hiring freelancers.) Perhaps the days of getting your first try free are drawing to an end.


@Richard W wrote:

@Petra R wrote:


Appallingly bad idea.

It might deter the fake clients, but would also deter genuine ones.

Fake clients are a nuisance, but don't cost me money. REAL clients not posting jobs costs me money, costs you money, and costs Upwork money.

 

The reason why none of the platforms do something so utterly insane is because it would be commercial suicide.


You may well be right, Petra. But just as a matter of interest, I've recently been noticing some sites making a small charge for trial periods. (I'm not talking about sites for hiring freelancers.) Perhaps the days of getting your first try free are drawing to an end.


 But posting a job is not a "free try" - clients don't have to pay for posting jobs first time, second time, tenth time. Clients only pay if they hire and the work is done.

Upwork isn't offering the first milestone or the first 5 hours of the freelancer for free, only the job post.

 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Pascal:

I do not know how prevalent this practice of freelancers posting fake jobs in order tospy on other freelancers. I have not encountered this myself. But your experience may differ.

 

As a practical matter, if you are concerned about this, then Upwork already provides tools and techniques for you to avoid such a thing.

 

You could, for example, only apply to jobs posted by clients with an established track record of hiring and paying freelancers. These hiring history stats are displayed for every client.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths