🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: So many proposals yet no jobs
Page options
zakoud
Community Member

So many proposals yet no jobs

Hey everyone,

I have been applying for jobs on upwork for a while yet no luck.

I wanted to get your opinion on my profile and maybe have some advise on what I might be doing wrong.

Best regards,

19 REPLIES 19
petra_r
Community Member

Zacharia E wrote:

I wanted to get your opinion on my profile and maybe have some advise on what I might be doing wrong.

"Jack of all trades" means "I don't do anything particularly well" - It is a surefire "Please don't hire me" signal.

Your profile is unfocussed and unconvincing, it does not actually tell a client what is in it for them if they hire you.

From a brief look I have no idea what you are selling which gives the impression that you have no idea what you are selling either.

Clients get dozens of proposals, they need to recognize at first glance why hiring you is good for THEM (not you) - you need to scrap your profile, identify your unique selling point and then sell that and that alone.

I would also change the profile pic. It is weird.

zakoud
Community Member

Hello Petra,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write back.

I do agree that "Jack of all trades" sounds off know that I see it from your perspective.

Based on that I made some changes to give people a more "what's in it for them" presentation

Best regards.

m_sadiah
Community Member

Hello Petra, I have the same problem. Could you please tell me about my profile too.. I submitted many proposals but have had no response nor any invite.. Please help me to improve..

Thanks

dfe5cfe4
Community Member

Hi, please I have the same issue. Can you please check my profile.

Since you just created your account today, you should not be sending proposals or have your Available now badge ON. It is just a waisting of Connects since your profile is not completed.

Please read the main post and click on all the links here 

To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community and go through the Academy Courses

When you understand how things work and invested time in your profile, you can ask for a revision of your profile here 

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan... - Upwork Community

whynot93
Community Member

Hi Zacharia!

I also checked out your profile. Here are my two cents:

1) The profile pic is distracting. You have this yellow thing next to you and, honestly, it's quite distracting and takes away the focus from you. Maybe upload a different pic with just you and nothing else around 🙂

2) Your profile description isn't very engaging. It looks like a list and quite cold in tone, may I suggest you change it up with a "Hello my name is X and I do the following, Thanks/Cheers".

3) Your fee request. I'm also still currently pursuing a degree but for that reason I do not ask for $30/hr. Why? Because I don't have the qualifications yet (especially in the legal field) and not enough experience. Are you willing to work for sligthly less in the beginning? Of course you can get away without having a degree but you need a lucky combo of factors.

I've seen plenty of other freelancers apply for relatively cheap jobs and then build up a reputation and portfolio for the future. Let's not even talk about JSS. 

4) How do you exactly approach your potential client? I think the style and language help in capturing your client's attention. 

Hope you find this helpful and good luck!

zakoud
Community Member

Hello Mary,

Thank your for giving it some time !

I will be adding some text to make my description more human thanks for bringing this issue to my attention.

For how I approach potentiel customers here is an example of a proposal I made yesterday.

Hello,

I actually had some time on hand so I made you a first logo that is in attachment. If you like my style feel free to reach out to me to discuss more.

Best regards,

Best regards Mary,

Hi Zacharia,

Everyone experiences highs and lows when freelancing but don't lose hope just yet! In addition to what Petra and Mary has suggested, you may also want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork:

8+ Tips to Help You Create a Profile That Stands Out

Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference

A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture

Get Your Profile to the Next Level with an Intro Video

4 Ways to Create a More Successful Portfolio Regardless of Your Skill Set

Let me know if you need anything else.

~ Riri

Thank you for the links Riri !

Hi. I have the same problem. Could you tell me about my profile too, except the JSS... it is too low I know... I thought that the JSS is a main problem to take a job. I just need someone else opinion. Thanks.

Hi Grigoriy,

In addition to the links below also be sure to check out our online course for information on how you can build a strong profile, win high-quality jobs, and start getting paid. You may improve your skills by doing self-study, or enrolling yourself to websites that provide skills training. You can check out websites such as Udemy, Pluralsight, Skillshare, etc., and see which of their programs and courses will benefit you.

Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Please see the following link for more info about what affects your score and what you can do to improve it.

~ Riri

Hello Petra, I have the same problem. Could you please tell me about my profile too.. I submitted many proposals but have had no response nor any invite.. Please help me to improve..

Thanks

Zacharia E wrote:

Hello Mary,

Thank your for giving it some time !

I will be adding some text to make my description more human thanks for bringing this issue to my attention.

For how I approach potentiel customers here is an example of a proposal I made yesterday.

Hello,

I actually had some time on hand so I made you a first logo that is in attachment. If you like my style feel free to reach out to me to discuss more.

Best regards,

Best regards Mary,

Translates to: I have nothing else to do so I made you this free sample. I know you are not allowed to ask for free work, but hey, I can still send it so you and thereby teach you to expect it from underworked freelancers, which hurts me and others in the long run. 

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's not the professional way to go about this. Know your value. Never do free work. Clients can see in your portfolio if they like your work or not. 

I can see where you are coming from Martina. How do you approach potential customer ?

Best regards,

Zacharia E wrote:

I can see where you are coming from Martina. How do you approach potential customer ?

Best regards,

You are trying to establish a business relationship. Try to sound more professional.

What is your proposal about? Sometimes a job description covers several jobs.

Who are you

Why are you the best candidate

What can the client gain by choosing you instead of someone else

Invite them to look at your profile

joansands
Community Member

Zacharia - Why would anyone hire you when you are willing to work for free?

Hello Mary. Do you have any idea why I can't receive any proposals feedback past time while I was receiving it earlier? Is there probably anything wrong with my profile?
Thank you
Alexander

Alex F wrote:
Do you have any idea why I can't receive any proposals feedback past time while I was receiving it earlier? Is there probably anything wrong with my profile?

I know nothing about the technicalities of your job Alex, but your rate is too low.

I assume your line of work is over-saturated on the platform as well, but then so is writing (my field).

Also, things have become tougher for freelancers since the pandemic with so many previously permanent people jumping on board. Expect to make a lot of applications to be successful.

But don't undersell yourself in the hope of getting jobs; such a low rate is more likely to make people skip your proposal because they assume, at that rate, you don't have enough experience.

So my 5cents worth is up your rate to something more realistic and apply for jobs you know you can ace (without stressing so much) 😉

Hey everyone,

Best regards,

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths