🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » So... my account has the worst luck in histor...
Page options
gaucho76
Community Member

So... my account has the worst luck in history...

So... according to UpWork (when they feel like answering something) my account is not flagged. However, in less than a month I found that:

- My ranking fell down magically

- My profile is hidden to new clients

- My account is blocked from sending links to my own work

and now....

Capture.JPG

Yes, there's no mistake: Upwork is telling my existing clients NOT TO HIRE ME AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE. Literally.

But no, my account is not flagged, it's just... bad luck (and before someone say anything, my profile is set to AVAILABLE).

Guess I won't get any real answers (as usual) and this will be censored (as usual). So just venting here

20 REPLIES 20
dr-ian-paul
Community Member

That is a some shady action going on, with no explaination.  Upwork has some comments to drag through here to answer to this one.  

It does kind of seem that the management and leadership of the site and company took a dive into the wrong end of the stradegy.  "HEY UPWORK, I'll help fix your company..  Let me know.. I'll be right here."

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabio,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. This is a known error that only shows when Cleint is trying to rehire from a closed contract page. The Client can still rehire you from other pages, for example from your profile by using the ''Hire now'' button.

Our engineers are working to fix this as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Fabio,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. This is a known error that only shows when Cleint is trying to rehire from a closed contract page. The Client can still rehire you from other pages, for example from your profile by using the ''Hire now'' button.

Our engineers are working to fix this as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Bojan,

While this is getting "fixed" asap, does Upwork even bother to let a client know of this issue so they're not thinking a freelancer has screwed up in a major way? Why are client and freelancers not made privy as to the reasons for this (horribly written) notice. Why is this freelancer left in the dark? OMG ... could it be any more insulting?

Must Upwork word all their messages so horribly as many of them do? I will never understand how Upwork thinks this kind of message looks professional (or helpful in any way).

It's way more than an "inconvenience".

petra_r
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused.

This is not an "inconvenience..."

PLEASE, you guys, do not add insult to grave injury by calling it (and similar livelihood threatening massive Upwork Beep Ups) an "inconvenience" - It is rude, insulting, dismissive and infuriating.

Please imagine, for one minute, someone telling those who pay the money that pays for your rent and the food on your table to get the hell away from your profile and to please pay someone else instead.

Would you still call it "an inconvenience?????"

An inconvenience is the lift breaking and having to take the stairs.

It's an inconvenience when messages don't load or profiles don't update.

The system telling our clients to hire someone else is not an inconvenience. It is a major disaster.

Upwork telling your clients to not hire you and find someone else is *NOT* an "inconvenience" and calling it as such is like slapping the freelancer in the face.

If you really must use outdated canned phrases, please do not use insulting ones.

And why has that message not been changed to "Due to a technical issue on our side, and due to no fault of your freelancer, your freelancer can't be rehired this way at this time. Please navigate to your freelancer's profile and click on "Hire now."

mtngigi
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused.

This is not an "inconvenience..."

PLEASE, you guys, do not add insult to grave injury by calling it (and similar livelihood threatening massive Upwork Beep Ups) an "inconvenience" - It is rude, insulting, dismissive and infuriating.

Please imagine, for one minute, someone telling those who pay the money that pays for your rent and the food on your table to get the hell away from your profile and to please pay someone else instead.

Would you still call it "an inconvenience?????"

An inconvenience is the lift breaking and having to take the stairs.

It's an inconvenience when messages don't load or profiles don't update.

The system telling our clients to hire someone else is not an inconvenience. It is a major disaster.

Upwork telling your clients to not hire you and find someone else is *NOT* an "inconvenience" and calling it as such is like slapping the freelancer in the face.

If you reall must use outdated canned phrases, please do not use insulting ones.

Thanks Petra, for expanding on my comment. I was too spitting mad to elaborate.

d.png

Hi Amro,

I checked and see that a client who was having issues was able to send you an offer and you have already accepted a contract. Are there other clients of yours who are having similar issues? We currently have a known bug but would be happy to assist with a workaround.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

It worked for me when I proposed the contract for my customer.This is not the first time It happens.Also the message that appears "This freelancer is not available to rehire." is so annoying because if the customer does not know me well he will doubt my trust and think that I am kind of blocked to any new jobs !! . Please at least if you can not fix the bug consider changing the message.

Have a nice day 

Amro

mtngigi
Community Member

Fabio D wrote:

So... according to UpWork (when they feel like answering something) my account is not flagged. However, in less than a month I found that:

- My ranking fell down magically

- My profile is hidden to new clients

- My account is blocked from sending links to my own work

and now....

Yes, there's no mistake: Upwork is telling my existing clients NOT TO HIRE ME AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE. Literally.

But no, my account is not flagged, it's just... bad luck (and before someone say anything, my profile is set to AVAILABLE).

Guess I won't get any real answers (as usual) and this will be censored (as usual). So just venting here

If you know a client is trying to hire you, you can go to your closed contracts and propose a new contract, by clicking on the three dots - like this:

Screen shot 2019-08-14 at 12.31.03 PM.png

rafsun_ug
Community Member

This is no good! How they think to show this kind of message to a client where they said "Freelancers not available for rehire, would you like to see some similar Freelancers" where the Freelancer's profile was set to AVAILABLE!!! This is horrible and very unfair! 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

We understand that this issue is very frustrating and urgent. I've been communicating with our engineers about it and they already have a fix for it. It will be released soon and I'll make sure to update the thread once it's done.

While we can't change the message that's currently showing when the client tries to rehire Fabio from the contract room, we will have one of our agents reach out to the client and guide them how they can rehire Fabio from a different page. 

We also appreciate your feedback about our replies and will use it to make sure we do better in the future. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K. wrote:

Hi All,

We understand that this issue is very frustrating and urgent. I've been communicating with our engineers about it and they already have a fix for it. It will be released soon and I'll make sure to update the thread once it's done.

While we can't change the message that's currently showing when the client tries to rehire Fabio from the contract room, we will have one of our agents reach out to the client and guide them how they can rehire Fabio from a different page. 

We also appreciate your feedback about our replies and will use it to make sure we do better in the future. 

Valeria, 

Not trying to be overly difficult about this, but is there a specific reason why this message cannot be changed to something more reasonable- such as the wording Petra suggested? 

kat303
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

Valeria K. wrote:

Hi All,

Valeria, 

Not trying to be overly difficult about this, but is there a specific reason why this message cannot be changed to something more reasonable- such as the wording Petra suggested? 

I'm guessing on this. but maybe Upwork hired a programmer/coder and didn't receive the source code? 

Valeria K wrote:

While we can't change the message that's currently showing when the client tries to rehire Fabio from the contract room,

Upwork can. Or "could." They just don't want to or it's too much hassle.

Valeria K wrote:

we will have one of our agents reach out to the client and guide them how they can rehire Fabio from a different page. 

Never mind Fabio. (Sorry, Fabio!)

Will you have "one of your agents reach out to" EVERY AFFECTED client and guide them how they can rehire their freelancer from a different page?

All of them? Now?

Are all freelancers being affected by this? Or is it a random thing? I can't believe something like this is really happening to all of us.

Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

Why not? It should take 10 minutes max to change out the wording. I don't know why everything has to be so difficult. 

James S wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

Why not? It should take 10 minutes max to change out the wording. I don't know why everything has to be so difficult. 

I don't know how you can say this, we have no idea how it is implemented.  What if they hard coded it in the code and have to do a release to change the text and they might as well release the fix first?  

mtngigi
Community Member

This constant Upwork pop-up becomes more and more irrelevant every day. It's a slap in the face to keep asking us "to tell you what we think". What is the point? I think by now Upwork must have a pretty good idea of how we're thinking. To find out what happened to Fabio, and only because he came to the forum with it, is just another omg in a very long list of omgs.

Do you really want to know?.png

What makes it worse is the "sorry for the inconvenience" platitude that accompanies all such cries for help. Maybe Upwork could use a thesaurus?

Please find a better writer (that shouldn't be too hard) and then craft more professional and truthful messages. Start with Fabio's horribly-worded message that his clients must have seen, then you can move on to this lie: "We noticed you haven't been working lately".  Smiley Indifferent

negrusti
Community Member

Whoa, this is a major screw-up! I wonder how many of my clients saw this message and thought that my profile was banned or something...

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I'd like to confirm that this bug affected a group of freelancers and has been fixed earlier today. Clients will now be able to rehire these freelancers from the Contract room.

I would also like to clarify that there are cases where the pop-up is shown by design. For example when the client tries to rehire a freelancer whose account has since been closed by the freelancer themselves or by Upwork.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths