🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » So sad with this new feature with locations
Page options
lilitlyolik
Community Member

So sad with this new feature with locations

Hello freelancers. 

I have been busy on my ongoing projects and just decided to check out new job options here on UpWork. And what I found new ?? 

You can't send your proposal because you're not located in US ☹️ 

I can understand, that clients may be happy with this new feature, but I feel like... I don't know. So, if I take ticket to US , I'll be able to send my proposal to that job ))) exact me , with the same knowledge and with the same experience.  

I'm top rated plus freelancer with 100% JSS, I have worked with the clients from Australia, Europe, UAE, US and many other places of the world. So, this new feature is confusing a bit. 

I would understand if there be some filters according education, experience, certificates and anything what can show the quality of the freelancer's work. But show only US located or Brasil located or anywhere located freelancers , it's like I don't know, this is a freelance platform, doesn't it means that as long as you have an internet no matter where you're located? 

I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Be safe all. 

❤️

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep, i understand. But i can say for sure that it is possible. For me it works. I know about this jobs but it dont't see them with search\feed. Maybe some bug with your account and support can help you to fix.

Are you started with Armenia first or moved from US (traveling with location update)? Maybe it is related. I any case a can advice you to ask Upwork team to check visiblity issue.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Three points:

a) This is not new.

b) This platform is not for freelancers. It is for clients to use to find, hire and pay freelancers. Clients are the customers. Freelancers are partners in earning money.

c) There is nothing wrong with letting clients choose who they want to hire, and where they want to hire people from. When YOU hire freelancers, you may choose who to hire, and you may choose what countries to hire from. As a freelancer, YOU are allowed to choose what countries your clients are from.

It would be great to close the job post for which I can't send a proposal. I mean to show that job post to the freelancers who fit for the required location. 
I'm losing time, reading the job post and later seeing that I'm not fit.
And your answer a) is wrong, it is new, that I can't send a proposal. Right now I have a contract with the client, who wrote different locations, but he is working with me currently. I'm not from his listed locations. 

re: "And it is new, that I can't send a proposal. Right now I have a contract with the client, who wrote different locations, but he is working with me currently. I'm not from his listed locations.l

Fsir enough. I have never tried looking for jobs or sending proposals while not living in the United States. Do I have no firsthand experience with anything like that from the freelancer's side.

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers, from around the world. I do not use any location filters on job posts. I assume that most clients are like that. But obviously some clients have location preferences. I respect that and I'm glad Upwork allows that sort of freedom and transparency l even if it's not the way I personally hire.

I respect anyone's choice of course. 
I just don't want to waste my time reading job posts, and just a little bit later understand, that I can't send a proposal. I guess by the user experience design this part can be improved. 

I don't think I need to see that job posts. It can be hidden from me. It's just an idea. 
I can travel to another place, to get a contract and once I come back I'm not fit anymore ))) funny. 

spectralua
Community Member

How you can see it?

My account don't show any US-only (same as UK only. As i know 2 coutries with local restrictions here) jobs.

I don't know. I see different jobs. I can read them, but I can't send a proposal. 
So, I would like don't see )) I don't want to waste a time, very simple. 

Yep, i understand. But i can say for sure that it is possible. For me it works. I know about this jobs but it dont't see them with search\feed. Maybe some bug with your account and support can help you to fix.

Are you started with Armenia first or moved from US (traveling with location update)? Maybe it is related. I any case a can advice you to ask Upwork team to check visiblity issue.

I'm in Armenia, never was in US. So, I think it can be a bug. Because of this is new for me ))  Thanks a lot for trying to help, I'll write to support. 

And I'm just sharing my thoughts and feelings, I guess this feature is perfect for the clients. But I wrote from the freelancer's point. 🙂 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths