🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » So that happened...thanks upwork!
Page options
boundtimemedia14
Community Member

So that happened...thanks upwork!

I rarely post in the forums, so if this has already been mentioned my apologies, but it's also a bit of a heads up.

So here goes...
I have a individual freelancer account as well as an agency. When I first started I thought an agency seemed more professional even though it's only me.

Anyway, I illustrated a book for a client last year and it was over $700, same client returns with a second book, once again over $700 but this time I notice upwork charging me 20% instead of 10%.

I politely open a chat and was informed that since one book was on my freelancer account and the other on my agency they count as separate contracts even though the same client and the same freelancer are working together, so they are going to still charge me the 20% for the 1st $500.

So there is nothing I can do, lesson learned I guess? And an oversite on my part. I will be working towards closing my agency as soon as I can. Seems like an unfair loophole to me.

Anyway just wanted to get that off my chest and maybe it can serve as a heads up to those who have an agency to make sure where you're contracts are going.
2 REPLIES 2
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Been there, done that.

I had almost 4000 with my client, than I switched him to my Agency account, only to find out the same thing. 🙂

Now I have around 4000 on Agency account, so int total almost 10000. But of course it won't count to 5$ bonus. 😄

zhygariev
Community Member

Greedy hands some one got.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members