cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So tired of these LOW bid rates

Community Leader
Melinda M Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
1 of 35

I am SOOOO tired of Freelancers bidding low rates. It's not fair to the rest of us that have been on Upwork for many years and have built up some experience for these people to under cut us. I have read other discussions about people from some other countries possibly doing this as money goes a lot futher there, but that is NO excuse. I believe the bids should at least start at a living wage of $15.00 an hour. I wanted to bid on this job and several others but get this a lot. See photo attached. I have also seen other bids that look like this. Bid range - High- $9.00 / Avg- $5.16 / Low- $3.00 

What are your thoughts?? Should Upwork change to a rule that bids can not be lower than a living wage?Screenshot - Upwork Low bid 7_6_2019.pngUpwork Low Bid 7-6-2019

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 35

In your category, you can pretty much forget "Entry Level" job posts. They will never pay what you are worth and the freelancers who bid on them are not your competition, they are simply playing in a completely different market.

When you say "a living wage" then you have to remember that that differs dramatically from country to country.

Personally, I actually think your solution could be to up your rate rather than lower it,  and specifically go for the higher level, well-paid contracts so you remove yourself from the pool of the cheap freelancers. You can't beat them on price, so you have to change your approach.

There are clients for every segment of the market, so position yourself in such a way that you appeal to the higher end. Personally, I think you have such a strong and appealing profile that your low price might actually work against you.

You might want to look to go up to $ 20 (my gut says $ 24.99 but that might be extreme in one go) and make a concerted effort to go aggressively after the high end, high priced contracts.

Community Leader
3 of 35

Hi Petra,

What you wrote makes sense. I also appreciate your compliment about my profile. I am a hard worker with fabulous work ethics and I am proud of the good work I give to the clients. I will take your advice and cross my fingers. I have been out of work for over a month and I am having a hard time getting one. Have had some bites and invitations for interviews, but have not heard back from the clients in days to weeks now. Thank you for your input. 

BTW..... There are clients for every segment of the market, so position yourself in such a way that you appeal to the higher end. What is the best way to go about doing this, in your opinion?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 35

Melinda M wrote:

BTW..... There are clients for every segment of the market, so position yourself in such a way that you appeal to the higher end. What is the best way to go about doing this, in your opinion?

I learned it the hard way lol.

You come across as a premium brand (that is my impression when I open your profile) - you look efficient and very polished and competent....   and have priced yourself cheaply which means the clients who want to pay $ 20 to $ 30 an hour (or more) will see your rate and wonder what is wrong with you. It honestly has to be at least $ 20 and realistically $ 25+ soon.  Porsche, Mercedes and BMW don't compete with low end cars on price either, do they? They understand that there is a market for little Nissans and there is a market for Porsche. Armani don't worry that you can order a pair of Jeans from China for $ 5 either.

You get the nicer clients too, and they are no harder to win than the cheap ones and so much more rewarding to work with.

Go after the clients who are looking in the $$$ range and likely US only clients (exceptions prove the rule)

Maybe rewrite your overview thinking / rebranding as "Executive Assistant" rather than "Admin Person" - that long lovely feedback from one of your clients really indicates that that's your niche.

Community Leader
5 of 35

Thank you SO much for your input. I appreciate it very much. 

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
6 of 35

Melinda M wrote:

Thank you SO much for your input. I appreciate it very much. 

While updating you profile you also want to remove the link to your website since that contains your contact information.

Community Leader
7 of 35

I already changed that

Community Leader
8 of 35

And this is the BS I see today! This SHOULD NOT be aloud by Upwork!! What he heck are these bids about in Expert Level??!! 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 35

Melinda M wrote:

And this is the BS I see today! This SHOULD NOT be aloud by Upwork!! What he heck are these bids about in Expert Level??!! 

are you complaining about the job or the bids? That person is asking for someone to be available 24/7. **edited for Community Guidelines**freelancers bid on this stuff and then rage in the forum. **edited for Community Guidelines** clients think someone could actually be available 24/7. All I do is hope they show up here. I consider this entertainment.

Community Leader
10 of 35

The bids are what I'm writing about. I what heck! Ya know. Yea. The 24/7 is rediculous too. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS