🐈 Community
rsfk

So...

Is there anyone that actually hires on here that is not a scammer that wants to take me off-site?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lamarcus,

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and by reading our Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Please upload a photo of yourself to your profile in order to avoid having your profile restricted. 

Untitled

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
stencil_media

Yes, there's loads of them! But as you're new (I'm assuming), you're getting a slightly skewed view of it... as scammers target newbies, who might not know the rules or how to keep themselves safe on Upwork. There's plenty of good guys and gals out there!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lamarcus,

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and by reading our Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Please upload a photo of yourself to your profile in order to avoid having your profile restricted. 

Untitled

Vladimir wrote:

"Please upload a photo of yourself to your profile in order to avoid having your profile restricted. "

Vlad do mean an incomplete profile (i.e. not 100%) or actually restricted? Is this something new? I thought you could either have no photograph or a photograph of oneself (although no avatars or logos etc.).

Hi Nichola,

Freelancers are required to use a real photo of themselves. Nothing has changed in this respect.

Untitled

Don't think I've had an avatar set, but I have put one up now.

Never knew it was mandatory, this would be the first time of me hearing about it.

...but thank you for the help. 🙂

Unfortunately, none of the informational materials and training videos Vladimir suggests actually train newbie contractors about potential scams.

That the introductary materials and orientation process are inadequate is evident based on the prevelance of newbies wasting time with and participating in these scams.

Learning Paths