🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Social Media Marketer's bidding $5-$12/ hour....
Page options
eric-sherman
Community Member

Social Media Marketer's bidding $5-$12/ hour. Why?

I'm new here, but I can't imagine this is good for the UpWork community.  Lowballing offers like that doesn't help anyone out whatsoever.  Is it because you are desperate to get hired or do you truly believe you're only worth poverty-level wages? 

4 REPLIES 4
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Lowballing, race-to-the-bottom freelancers are an annoyance in some fields. But you also have to remember that Upwork has people bidding from literally all over the planet. While $5-$12/hour might not seem like much to someone in the US or Western Europe, that's a very decent wage in developing nations.

Clients can always restrict their posts to only allow proposals from US-based freelancers, and freelancers can always filter their feed to show only US-based clients.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I'm gonna say: Both. 

tlsanders
Community Member

Eric S wrote:

I'm new here, but I can't imagine this is good for the UpWork community.  Lowballing offers like that doesn't help anyone out whatsoever.  Is it because you are desperate to get hired or do you truly believe you're only worth poverty-level wages? 

The thing is, the freelancers who accept those rates aren't here to benefit the Upwork community. They're here to make money, pay their rent, maybe feed their kids. I sincerely hope no freelancer ever thinks, "Wow, I'd like to buy groceries this week, but I should probably think about the good of the strangers in the 'Upwork community' instead."

petra_r
Community Member

In one country with one of the highest number of freelancers on the platform  $ 12 an hour is 3 times what an average medical doctor earns.

In another it is 63 times (!) the minimum wage.

It is all relative on a global platform.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths