Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social & ID

furlow_tayler
Ace Contributor
Tayler F Member Since: May 4, 2016
1 of 10
A potential client has asked for my social and ID. Now this has happened once before but it was a client I had worked with extensively who wanted me to do more work that was of a sensitive nature. But this client is new so I am hesitant.

I wanted to know do other freelancers get asked for this information and if so has anyone ever been scammed when giving it?

Thanks for taking the time to reply with your experience!
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 10

Enjoy having your identity stolen. Don't give anyone your social. First of all, you will get double taxed because Upwork reports your earnings. Second, you don't know if it's some dude living in his mom's basement and now your social is written down on some paperwork sitting on the kitchen counter while his buddies have a kegger.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
3 of 10

I don't share my social or my ID with any client, for any reason, no matter how long they've been my client.  It's a disaster waiting to happen.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 10

I just CAN NOT believe that someone would give out their SS# and ID to some stranger on the internet located somewhere in the world.

furlow_tayler
Ace Contributor
Tayler F Member Since: May 4, 2016
5 of 10

Sorry I had a busy weekend and was not able to check this thread.

To reinterate the client the I had given my information to was someone I had worked closely with on the internet and eventually in person. As a freelancer and an adult I feel I am capable of making those decisions just as all of us do when applying for a credit card or setting up payroll in a regular job. So while I understand some of your concern or dismay at own past business relationships I have it handled.

My purpoose for asking this was to see if this common, if this is something that clients ask for regularly as it seems a bit strange and to see your own experience with the situation. 

It seems like a community fourm decicated to freelancers would be more willing to answer questions and discuss client behavior not just be dismissive at best or mildly insulting at its worse. However my experiences on here tend to be this way no matter what question I ask so who knows?

If anyone has ever encountered this type of thing I would still love to hear about it. Or even how you would deny this request while still keeping the business relationship intact? Thanks! 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 10

There is no reason for the client to need this.  Just tell him/her that Upwork has verified your identification and that she/he does not report your earnings to the IRS.

And no, in four years on this platform, I have never been asked for this.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 10

I was asked once. I think the guy was legit but who knows. He told me his accounting dept was asking for it. I told him no and he left me alone.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 10

@Tayler F wrote:

Sorry I had a busy weekend and was not able to check this thread.

To reinterate the client the I had given my information to was someone I had worked closely with on the internet and eventually in person. As a freelancer and an adult I feel I am capable of making those decisions just as all of us do when applying for a credit card or setting up payroll in a regular job. So while I understand some of your concern or dismay at own past business relationships I have it handled.

Yes, you are an adult and as such you assume ALL responsibility of the outcome when you supply anyone, whether you know them, worked with them for a long time or just was awarded a job with them. The ONLY time a ss# should be given is when you work at a B&M job. In that case, if you live in the U.S. you'll need to W-2 form with your ss# for tax purposes.

My purpoose for asking this was to see if this common, if this is something that clients ask for regularly as it seems a bit strange and to see your own experience with the situation. 

No this is not common. There is no reason for any client on here to ask for a ss#. What purpose would they have with it other then using it for some type of identity theft.

It seems like a community fourm decicated to freelancers would be more willing to answer questions and discuss client behavior not just be dismissive at best or mildly insulting at its worse. However my experiences on here tend to be this way no matter what question I ask so who knows?

No one is insulting or dismissive. There is no reason to provide a client with any personal information. That includes ss#'s, bank account information, credit card numbers, Paypal account information, passport/visa information, home addresses, auto tag numbers and even your mothers maiden name.

If anyone has ever encountered this type of thing I would still love to hear about it. Or even how you would deny this request while still keeping the business relationship intact? Thanks! 

People who have encounted this type of thing have also encounted identity theft. If I were to encounter this and I hae not, not on here or any other freelancing site,  I would tell the client that I am verified through Upwork. I would also tell them that I'm here to complete your work to your satisfaction, not to give out personal information to anyone. If they are not satisfied with that response, then I just don't work with them.

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
9 of 10

@Tayler F wrote:

If anyone has ever encountered this type of thing I would still love to hear about it.

I have been asked and I’m still working for them. I did cover private info. Not all clients asking for ID are scammers (please note my comment is strictly about ID not social).

This is an old comment from when it was oDesk:

"A client can ask for this as part of a non-disclosure agreement and it's your choice to send it or not" If you send in your driver's license, you can black out all information except your name, address and DOB. Only give the bare minimum they need to identify you and nothing more.

This is from someone who used to be active in the community:

http://prntscr.com/c3stum

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 10

Hi Tayler, 

As other community members have pointed out, client's requesting for personal information such as ss#, bank details, addresses, etc. should raise a red flag. Please report this client to the support team so that they can take actions against the client's account and job post if necessary. 

Thank you!

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS