Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solicited for fake writing job

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
1 of 10

What's the deal with this kind of scammer?:

About an hour ago I was invited to apply to a writing job.  There is no job description completed, just a title:

https://www.upwork.com/applications/307748966

It's from Buenos Aires, Argentina and the poster has paid $1,673 for four jobs.  I guess there is some mixed price there.  Anyway I wouldn't have responded because there is no job description; but he/she has appears to have paid for some work previously.

I messaged him "I would need more information about what the job entails, what do you need assistance with because there is no job description".  He immediately sent me a .txt file with gobbledeegook outline which doesn't make sense.  It's in plain English, but it's like it was written by a 4th grader and is a mix of programming, engineering, and... well, it left me puzzled if they even know what they needSmiley Happy

Although flattered to be invited to a job, I politely withdrew from the interview, even if it's legit because at a minimum, the communication barrier is too great.  

What do you think, spreading viruses via a .txt file? Or just a English language and 'Upwork savvy' challenged? Normally I wouldn't have opened the .txt file but I was using my Chromebook which is like Honeybadger to viruses, executables, and malware.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 10

I tried accessing it, but I have been told I am not "authorized to see this page". Perhaps it is one of those ephemeral offers from the Upwork cloud?

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 10

It said it was "invitation only", maybe the link doesn't work from everywhere?   Maybe it was invitation-only for suckers like me?? Smiley Happy

I'm flattered anytime I'm invited to a job. I was thinking maybe the .txt file job description was poorly written, but they are just English-challenged.  But the English is actually fine, it's just the project makes no sense to me.  Here is the contents of the text file.  There is nothing sensitive, unique, or identifying in here or I wouldn't post.  Keep in mind this is 100% of the information about the project:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 10

I do not download files. They should be able to provide a complete description, including word count, page count, etc. or any these questions through a simple message in their own words, if they are legit.  

I had an invite today where they addressed me with 1) someone else's name 2) bad English even though they had an American-sounding name and 3) obviously had no idea what a keyword actually was, yet wanted them spread throughout their "papers". They were subcontracting the work. They weren't the actual client and I wonder if the actual client even knows their project has been outsourced. This is why I do not accept outsourced projects. Most of them in the writing category are scams. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 10

Aha!  Calreen I think you lit a light bulb there.  Now this makes sense to me.  They probably have this "assignment" from someone and they have no idea how to do it, so they are trying to farm out something they are clueless about. AND they are a little English-challenged.  They are putting it out there without saying what "it" is, that is being written about, sort of a clue lol. 

You bring up a great point too, i normally would not download ANY file attached to an email.  I should NEVER do it here on Upwork either - it could be an executable.  Even though I'm using a Chromebook, it is risky to click on an unknown.  Good general practice, just to never do it. 

Highlighted
Doug B Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
6 of 10

Hi Steve, noob hereSmiley Happy How do I message a job poster please? Thanks, Doug.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 10

Hey Doug, well you're not THAT much of a NOOB... you've figured out how to use the community forum, Smiley Happy  I'm actually a relative NOOB too, just started Upwork 10 weeks ago. 

Here is how I would answer your question: as far as I know, there is no way to private message a job poster without applying to their job first, which opens a dialog.  If you open the job page, there is no "Send a Message" button.  If I am wrong, I hope to stand corrected because private, pre-application questions would be a big plus.

Maybe there is a way to do it by clicking on the user name, going to their profile... I haven't tried that.  I'm sure more experienced Upworkers will know the definitive answer.

I think there should also be a social forum for PUBLIC comments under each job post, where you can post comments and questions for all to see, like over on Guru.  Or like a news article many online newpaper articles have now.  Some of the postings are so awful, exploitive, or rude they deserve the wrath of the communitySmiley Happy  

On Upwork there is no charge for posting a job, so a lot of questionable job listings are submitted. Some are just poorly formed, or leave out essential information therefore beg out for questions to be answered.  It would be of benefit to everyone. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 10

This actually sounds like school work to me. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 10

Looking at the deets. I think you are absolutely right, Jen.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 10

Yeah Jennifer that makes sense -- it fits the writing.

I'm giving them a "C-" on how to post a job on Upwork too wasting the time of people around the world, :-)

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS