🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Some clients post hourly jobs and then ask yo...
Page options
pedroed
Community Member

Some clients post hourly jobs and then ask you to work fixed price? why?

Hello friends 

Did you guys notice some clients post hourly jobs and then ask you to work fixed price? why? just why? Smiley Indifferent

6 REPLIES 6
pudingstudio
Community Member

Badr E wrote:

Hello friends 

Did you guys noice some clients post hourly jobs and then ask you to work fixed price? why? just why? Smiley Indifferent

It's common.

Clients aren't sure of how much a thing costs?
They are trying to get a thing for less money?

No problem; you answer with an amount YOU are happy with.
You do A thing, they pay you A money, happiness all around?

or maybe they want to approve payments anytime they want?

Badr E wrote:

or maybe they want to approve payments anytime they want?

Client can make an issue no matter the contract type, if that is what you suggested.
Client won't if product is delivered.

Clients are often very nice people, reasonable, willing to increase payment if workload is reciprocated.

with my respects to you sir, i feel like in the community there are like "bots" who answer always "Upwork is heaven, no problems at all"

I'm a freelancer here since 2013 , i have many times delivred product in time but clients approve after like 1 week (they say i need my boss to review this or even they leave you hanging with no answers) or until the 14 days period ends then Upwork approves automatically. 

"Clients are often very nice people, reasonable, willing to increase payment if workload is reciprocated."

Like 10% chance to meet this kind of clients.

There are some clients who ask for an estimate cost and are also open to extend that cost in case there are revisions or changes that were not predicted.  When I start a contract with a client like that, then Upwork becomes "heaven" as you say, but still you have to make sure the extra hours are absolutely necessary to complete the task (and optimize your process).

If a client posts something as an hourly job and it turns out it they wanted a fixed price contract, I think some negotiation should take place before said contract starts, so you know it benefits you and it's not a scam. I'd say most of the time it's a scam, deceitful, not a wonderful gift from the free markets, etc. But sometimes it's not. Sometimes it might be convenient to accept a job like this. In my experience it's maybe less than 10% of the time, a small chance that gave me several good contracts nonetheless.  

data_divas
Community Member

Either say you'll only work hourly or figure out how long it should take,  add extra money for unexpected work and tell the client your terms. Let the client decide. 

Use your client management skills. 

I had this exact situation, bid twice the amount it would take hourly and got the job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths