🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Some one contacted me from **Edited**
Page options
a84f529c
Community Member

Some one contacted me from **Edited**

I had an email from **Edited for community guidelines** They sent me a cheque for $3950 and asked me to use it towards logistics setp like buyng Laptop, Printers, softwares etc. When I asked them what happend when the contract ends how will I send them back , they did not respond back. I also asked them should these not be inluded in the offer letter, then again no response. 

More comedy when I asked them what happens if during the contract if the laptop/ printer has issues, they said they will send one more cheque.

When I recd the cheque it was from **Edited for community guidelines** The cheque was an printed e-Cheque and not even signed originally.

Upwork should really be cautious on their client information as somehow it is starting to move towards becomming like a Craiglist

4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anuroopa,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll be sure to escalate it accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

That sort of fraud must still be working if they continue to send the messages to some Upwork freelancers or they wouldn't keep trying to pull in a few more innocents.

But it must be like a game of Whack-A-Mole for Upwork.

Will L wrote:

That sort of fraud must still be working if they continue to send the messages to some Upwork freelancers or they wouldn't keep trying to pull in a few more innocents.

But it must be like a game of Whack-A-Mole for Upwork.

This scam is ancient and has been run way before Upwork, the Internet, and computers.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Anuroopa N wrote:

I had an email from **Edited for community guidelines** They sent me a cheque for $3950 and asked me to use it towards logistics setp like buyng Laptop, Printers, softwares etc. When I asked them what happend when the contract ends how will I send them back , they did not respond back. I also asked them should these not be inluded in the offer letter, then again no response. 

More comedy when I asked them what happens if during the contract if the laptop/ printer has issues, they said they will send one more cheque.

When I recd the cheque it was from **Edited for community guidelines** The cheque was an printed e-Cheque and not even signed originally.

Upwork should really be cautious on their client information as somehow it is starting to move towards becomming like a Craiglist

They are, but the freelancer is the first point of contact with these scams - the job posting most likely looks legit to an unsuspecting newbie, and there are no phrases or words that give them away. The chat between client and freelancer is not supervised by upwork.

Every freelancer is responsible to staying safe. Next time you know better and will not waste your time discussing a fake check. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members