manan_mughees

Some one withdraw my money from my account by linking fake account with my upwork account

i was a active user back in 2012. i worked in that year . this work was mailed to me that my account has 17.5 dollars. i requested for my card for withdrawal of money 2 times but it was not delivered to me. then i stopped working on odesk. last year in December i wanted to rework. i opened my Account and was surprised to see that some one has withdrawal my money. some withdraw Account was attached with my Upwork Account and payment was made to it. i guess its fraudulent activity done. kindly look into it. as want to start work again but i am scared what if some one again steal it. i am copying the transaction history.
Date Type Description Client Amount /
Balance Ref ID
May 27, 2015 Withdrawal Fee Withdrawal Fee - Payoneer ($2.00)
$0.00 58131668
May 27, 2015 Withdrawal Payoneer (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) ($13.30)
$2.00 58131667
Statement Period
Jan 2, 2013 to Feb 1, 2017

Beginning Balance $15.30
Total Debits $15.30
Total Credits $0.00
Total Change ($15.30)
Ending Balance $0.00

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, that's rude the way you talk. It's still his money and he is supposed to have access to it whenever he wants.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mughees,

Upwork can't keep freelancers' funds indefinitely. That's why any funds older than 90 or 180 days are automatically sent to the primary payment method on file. In your case, it looks like the money was sent to your Payoneer account that's registered in your name and your email address. You may need to contact Payoneer to retrieve the money.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Just so we're clear... You're trying to retrieve $17.50 that you earned in 2012?

Yes, that's rude the way you talk. It's still his money and he is supposed to have access to it whenever he wants.

@Ege Ö wrote:

Actually, he is supposed to have access to it for 180 days.

Then It's Upwork's fault for not clarifying it when the money is put to your account. I trust that money is is safe here and all of a sudden I learn its gone. I havent set a payment method here, so does it mean that Upwork will "steal" my money when 6 months pass?

@Ege Ö wrote:

Then It's Upwork's fault for not clarifying it when the money is put to your account. I trust that money is is safe here and all of a sudden I learn its gone. I havent set a payment method here, so does it mean that Upwork will "steal" my money when 6 months pass?

You mean, you chose not to read the TOS and it's Upwork's fault for not forcing you?

How is it "stealing" your money to send to the most recent payment option you attached to your account?

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ege Ö wrote:

You mean, you chose not to read the TOS and it's Upwork's fault for not forcing you?

How is it "stealing" your money to send to the most recent payment option you attached to your account?

As Tiffany said it's in the TOS. Upwork is not a bank and can't hold money more than 180 days.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

No, what I'm saying is that I cannot remember reading it in TOS and that they should put a warning for each time they send money to your account

And as I've said above;

what happens when theres no payment option added by me?

They take my money > I send a ticket to learn about it > They tell me it's already in TOS > Puff! Money gone?

I'm sure they can come up with a solution and still send the money after 180 days because I cant think otherwise since I'm glad to use Upwork, but still it doesnt sound fair and how could you even compare a bank account to Upwork?  As far as I know moneys of every single customer is there altogether and sent by request to the customers, whats the point about 180 days rule other than unsatisfaction?

By federal law Upwork cannot keep money past 180 days and the money is sent to the person's payment method on file. If there is no payment method on file I imagine it goes back to the client. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

i was not actually aware of this fact. i was very new that time . even i tried to put a payment method but i was not able to get card .

Ege,

There are legal regulations that don't allow Upwork to hold freelancers' money indefinitely. Please, refer to article 6.4 of the User Agreement.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Who leaves seventeen dollars somewhere that isn't a bank and then tries to collect it 5 years later?

If somebody owed me money from a month ago I write it off as gone forever.

@Ege Ö wrote:

Ege - Your money is safe here, (in escrow while working) but this is not a bank. Why would you want to keep it here for longer then 180? It's not accuring any interest. And who do you expect to ever get your money if you don't set up a payment method?

I for one, want my money as soon as possible transfered to my account where it Can earn interest and where it's immediately available.

i am just concerned if this is fradulent activity by some one there would have been many accounts . which would be flased out on becoming in active . thank you for you response . i am here to ask for ways to address this matter .

Thank you for supporting my right cause

on pirority i just want to get remove that fake account with my upwork Account . getting money back would be post step. as i think this would be done by some group of people who are having an eye on inactive accounts and then when they get chance they could exploit it.

its not only 1 account which would have been in active , there would be in  numbers. i just want to warn for future refernece if some one from us became inactive and this could happen. my money was nominal but many people work day and night

@Mughees M wrote:

on pirority i just want to get remove that fake account with my upwork Account . getting money back would be post step. as i think this would be done by some group of people who are having an eye on inactive accounts and then when they get chance they could exploit it.

So you are saying that the Payoneer account that Valeria said is registered in your name and with the email address you use for Upwork is not yours?

Have you tried contacting Payoneer? Since the account is registered to your email address, you should be able to re-set the password and gain access.

My user name is Mughees Manan for upwork. card attach with user Name Manan Mughees . i am using upwork account with my official gmail id. but that other payneor account is linked with an id which is not mine.

that id was used actually as its been clear from the trasaction history .

now i am contacting payneor as well for removal of this account and issuing me another card . and refering to the solution . i have also contacted upwork for this matter

• 16 Aug I withdraw 313$ to my PayPal account. But there is some issue, so the PayPal just refunded the money. But I can't show the refunded money in my balance.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cory,

Please note that it usually takes a week, sometimes more, for the rejected funds to appear in the user's Upwork account balance. Your funds are safe and will be returned to your account balance soon.

Untitled

Thank you for your kind response . actually i was not aware of this fact that money older than 180 days cannot be hold.  even then i tried twice to get my debit card but i did not received it. but now i came to know that one card is attached with my account which was used to withdrew. that was my concern. actually