cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some reflections on the New Paid Connects Scheme

Community Leader
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
11 of 29

Alright, boys, I'm goin in tonight. gonna blow some sweet sweeeet connects. Should I let everyone know about the $50 jobs that cost 6 connects or nah?

Nah, no one's interested.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 29

Richard S wrote:

well I'm gonna

Now that we pay for connects

Now that we pay for connects, I think we should get our connects back after we talk about the $50 job that costs 6 connects.

eta: nvm. Went into the open marketplace and walked right back out. It's yuck poo in there. I'm just too civilized and mature for these things.  Sorry boys. Wasting connects today is cancelled.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
13 of 29

Jennifer M wrote:

Richard S wrote:

well I'm gonna

Now that we pay for connects,

You're just trying to get me to drink, aren't you? 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 29

Tonya P wrote:

You're just trying to get me to drink, aren't you? 

How are you able to drink when it takes SIX connects to bid on a job?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 29

Rahul V wrote:

and make verfication of payment method compulsary before posting of project so non serious clients are out of the picture and atleast have some lower limit for budgets ie fixed price and hourly price..

have these things implemented you will notice difference in 1 week.

Agree...you will notice a dramatic drop in the number of new clients posting jobs on Upwork.

Donna M Member Since: Jun 26, 2019
16 of 29

It's absolutely ridiculous that Upwork is charging freelancers money just to propose for a job. My experience on this site has not been great. I've found that a large number of clients are offering ridiculuosly low pay for jobs and Upwork takes a large percentage of earnings from the freelancer, leaving the freelancer getting paid next to nothing. I've seen job postings paying $10 for an illustration and sadly, people actually send in proposals for it.

Upwork should spend more time weeding these people out and also have more control over clients who don't respond to freelancers and who don't follow through with job postings and close them. Maybe Upwork should have a pricing system in place for clients- you must charge within this price range for children's book illustrations, logos, etc. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 29

Donna M wrote:

It's absolutely ridiculous that Upwork is charging freelancers money just to propose for a job. My experience on this site has not been great. I've found that a large number of clients are offering ridiculuosly low pay for jobs and Upwork takes a large percentage of earnings from the freelancer, leaving the freelancer getting paid next to nothing. I've seen job postings paying $10 for an illustration and sadly, people actually send in proposals for it.

Upwork should spend more time weeding these people out and also have more control over clients who don't respond to freelancers and who don't follow through with job postings and close them. Maybe Upwork should have a pricing system in place for clients- you must charge within this price range for children's book illustrations, logos, etc. 

Donna, most of the people who make good money through Upwork are grown-up professionals who neither need nor want a babysitter deciding for us how to screen clients. And I, at least, have zero interest in seeing my fees dramatically increase so that Upwork can invest a huge number of new staffers in conducting screening for freelancers who can't be bothered to do it themselves.

There are junk jobs everywhere? So what? It takes two seconds to scroll past a job that isn't a good fit for whatever reason. 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
18 of 29

10,000 kudos and more to Tiffany's comment. FLers are either professionals in their fields or need to get a job in the B&M world and become professional before 'experimenting' on a client's nickle.

"Donna, most of the people who make good money through Upwork are grown-up professionals who neither need nor want a babysitter deciding for us how to screen clients. And I, at least, have zero interest in seeing my fees dramatically increase so that Upwork can invest a huge number of new staffers in conducting screening for freelancers who can't be bothered to do it themselves.

There are junk jobs everywhere? So what? It takes two seconds to scroll past a job that isn't a good fit for whatever reason." 

Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
19 of 29

totally agree...i am pretty sure few changes will definately come up in near future as the quality of jobs is going down at fast rate

if nothing is done i am afraid things will be like other freelancing sites where freelancers are working for literally peanuts...

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
20 of 29

Rahul V wrote:

totally agree...i am pretty sure few changes will definately come up in near future as the quality of jobs is going down at fast rate

if nothing is done i am afraid things will be like other freelancing sites where freelancers are working for literally peanuts...

The entire global economy is shifting. There are predictions that by 2030 half of the U.S. workforce will be contingent--temps, contract, freelance, consultants, etc. Other countries are dealing with their own changes in the way employment is viewed. So it is understandable that freelancing, like the rest of the economy, is feeling some growing pains. New entrants into the market aren't going to do things the way incumbents have. And, where there is money to be made in the margins, someone is going to try to make it.

You can be the premium brand or be the knock-off but you can't make the knock-offs go away. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS