🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Someone is asking me to rent my account
Page options
amandhiman13
Community Member

Someone is asking me to rent my account

One person contacted me to rent my account. I refused, But now he is threatening me that he will chat with Upwork and block my account because I have not rented him my account.

Now he sent me the message that he reported my account that I am renting my account. He sent me the screenshot of Upwork chat. 

I am writing this because Upwork should beware of these types of clients. And first verify the things then take action.  His name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. He is making a fool on Linkedin  his id is

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

9 REPLIES 9
a_lipsey
Community Member

Aman D wrote:

One person contacted me to rent my account. I refused, But now he is threatening me that he will chat with Upwork and block my account because I have not rented him my account.

Now he sent me the message that he reported my account that I am renting my account. He sent me the screenshot of Upwork chat. 

I am writing this because Upwork should beware of these types of clients. And first verify the things then take action.  His name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. He is making a fool on Linkedin  his id is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

You did well to decline this and report it here. Renting accounts is a major TOS violation. The next time someone messages you and asks something like this, immediately block them and stop talking to them. If you can block him now, you should. 

I'm sure a moderator will be along shortly to help you, but I wouldn't worry. This person likely has no proof, and as long as you've been operating on the up and up, you should be okay.

roberty1y
Community Member

I think there's a good chance it's someone else's LinkedIn profile that he's pretending is his, so you shouldn't post the link to it here. It take it he's contacting you from a client account?

In the above linkedin link we can see that guy has asked too many peoples to rent their Upwork account. 

Ramesh K wrote:

In the above linkedin link we can see that guy has asked too many peoples to rent their Upwork account. 

Good point. You can see from all his recent activity that he's been soliciting people to rent accounts because his was suspended. 

OP, you have nothing to worry about.

Ramesh K wrote:

Wow, I hadn't seen that. I can't believe he's so open about it.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Aman D wrote:

Well, it's nice that he offered to report his own fraud attempt to Upwork; that will save you the trouble.

Just block this person and don't talk to them any more.

NikolaS

Hi Aman,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please know that it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, I will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community announcement.

~ Nikola
Upwork
763d2b16
Community Member

Even I was asked for renting my upwork account. Wondering why do they ask for renting upwork??
Any Idea anyone?

They want valid accounts so they can scam clients and probably other freelancers, and who knows else? They can use it outside of Upwork to lure people in or look legitimate. No one should talk to these people. As soon as they mention wanting your account, stop communicating and report them. All platforms take this violation extremely seriously and they will take prompt action.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members

Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English