🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Something feels wrong
Page options
9f22c812
Community Member

Something feels wrong

Hello community,

I found an interesting job posting by a client who seems new and does not have reviews yet. So I decided to check his ongoing projects and the type of freelancers he hires (to see if he hires newbies like myself) but something just felt awkward there. 

Apparently, he only hires brand new freelancers who happen to be from Nairubi, Kenya AND, if this doesn't sound weird enough, two different freelancers he hired have the SAME PHOTO!

Is this normal? 

Edit: I actually think all the hired freelancers are the same person, and the client is that person lol

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lemya M wrote:
Hi Robert,
You got a point lol, but I actually think it's one person having fun being the payer and the paid for the same project.

Most likely, it's some fake client out to scam people, and he's also posing as freelancers in order to generate a false work history in order to reassure his potential victims. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
roberty1y
Community Member

Lemya M said:

Apparently, he only hires brand new freelancers who happen to be from Nairubi, Kenya AND, if this doesn't sound weird enough, two different freelancers he hired have the SAME PHOTO!

Not so fast - maybe they're identical twin brothers. Or, if the client is also a dead ringer, triplets. Having said that, I'd advise you to stay well away from them. 😉

Hi Robert,
You got a point lol, but I actually think it's one person having fun being the payer and the paid for the same project.

Lol, but I think upwork has a way to fish out those kind of things if it ever happens and by the way if they are verified accounts one must be either removed or suspended kind of.

Hi Fortune,
Should I flag the job posting though? Because it seems like the client has already been active for a while now and Upwrok did not fish him or the freelancers out yet.

Lemya M wrote:
Hi Robert,

Most likely, it's some fake client out to scam people, and he's also posing as freelancers in order to generate a false work history in order to reassure his potential victims. 

If that is the case my opinion will be "RUN RUN RUN LIKE A LEOPARD"

Certainly

I would flag the job post and the profiles, telling CS exactly what you said here.  done and done.

I thought so too!
lysis10
Community Member

Has he actually paid the freelancers? Cuz then it's just some fake client profile getting paid to build freelancer profiles so they can hit some client with a big ol' payout scam. You can flag the stuff but who knows if anything will happen.

9f22c812
Community Member

Yes actually! So far, he has paid two or three freelancers around $190 each. Their accounts show the same location, education background, hourly rate, and some have the same photos, so i'm not sure what he is trying to do. I'm certain it's something fishy though.
I flagged the job anyway.
lysis10
Community Member

Lemya M wrote:
Yes actually! So far, he has paid two or three freelancers around $190 each. Their accounts show the same location, education background, hourly rate, and some have the same photos, so i'm not sure what he is trying to do. I'm certain it's something fishy though.
I flagged the job anyway.

ah, yeah, probably someone setting up a scam account to hit a client. Usually, when someone pays a client to build their profile and give fake feedback, it's like $5-$20 for the most part.

may be he want grow his business with his own feedbacks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths