cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sooooo many "The Aussie Voice" freelancers from all over the world...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
91 of 121

They use the Aussie Voice trick to get in and then they change their overview to something else. What Upwork is doing is banning the accounts that are reported and whose overviews haven't been edited yet.

That's all Upwork is able to do. Their IT **Edited for Community Guidelines**, it always did and always will.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
92 of 121

I'm curious to know what it is about Australian voiceover artists that makes their profiles so good for getting accepted by Upwork. Is there such a shortage of Australian voiceover artists that the algorithm will accept them regardless of any suspicious signs?

sue_mcl
Sue M Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
93 of 121

Surely upwork could enact a manual check/confirmation for any new profiles that sign up with the skill of voice talent? It's not like there are hundreds of real voice talent freelancers signing up every week (especially Australian ones!!!) it is a pretty niche field.

Would be very quick to work out which profile were real and which ones aren't.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
94 of 121

Sue M wrote:

Surely upwork could enact a manual check/confirmation for any new profiles that sign up with the skill of voice talent? It's not like there are hundreds of real voice talent freelancers signing up every week (especially Australian ones!!!) it is a pretty niche field.

Would be very quick to work out which profile were real and which ones aren't.

I think they rely on us to do that and even then. But on this issue, it is not just a flood of fake profiles but a tsunami. If Upwork does not find some way to stop it, it is going to seriously harm us all. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
95 of 121

Richard W wrote:

I'm curious to know what it is about Australian voiceover artists that makes their profiles so good for getting accepted by Upwork. Is there such a shortage of Australian voiceover artists that the algorithm will accept them regardless of any suspicious signs?

That seems to be exactly how it works - claiming to have a skill that's in short supply is the best (if not only) way to get accepted. But now that there are hundreds of Aussie voiceover artists on Upwork, you'd think that they would start rejecting new applicants?

Along with others who've posted here, I can't for the life of me understand what's so difficult about doing a search for these profiles and banning them. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
96 of 121

Christine A wrote:

Along with others who've posted here, I can't for the life of me understand what's so difficult about doing a search for these profiles and banning them. 

That would not help much. What we see is the mere tip of the iceberg: The ones dumb or disinterested enough to not change their details immediately after being accepted. This is only one of the tricks, there are others which have been reported again and again.

This one dumb and easily found by automated means - others, not so much.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
97 of 121

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

That would not help much. What we see is the mere tip of the iceberg: The ones dumb or disinterested enough to not change their details immediately after being accepted. This is only one of the tricks, there are others which have been reported again and again.

This one dumb and easily found by automated means - others, not so much.

It would be a good start if they even removed the "tip of the iceberg" fraudulent profiles. If the rest of us can easily find them, why can't Upwork? I just flagged another one myself after a 5-second search (and yes, it was an active profile that showed the "hire" button when I swiched to my client account).

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
98 of 121

maybe upwork should  change their signup procedures and do the same thing toptal does - manual approval. you sign up, you get an email from them that someone will be contacting you - then you have a skype interview and only then you're considered an applicant. the whole process can take up to 3 months...

of course, that will require hiring a few extra people - and upwork will rather rely on software - it's cheaper...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
99 of 121

In their SEC fillings, if memory serves well, they speak about 10.000 applications per day. There is no way they can manually check each of them, this is why they have a filtering algorithm.

That being said, a manual validation process should take place after the automatic filter. And they should close the doors and open them only for short intervals when needed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
100 of 121

Rene K wrote:

In their SEC fillings, if memory serves well, they speak about 10.000 applications per day. There is no way they can manually check each of them, this is why they have a filtering algorithm.

That being said, a manual validation process should take place after the automatic filter. And they should close the doors and open them only for short intervals when needed.

Or how about a $10 application fee? That would reduce the number of applicants and pay for extra Upwork staff members who could do some vetting. If they want clients to pay membership fees, then they should be trying to offer better-quality freelancers for them to choose from instead of letting unskilled scammers join the website.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS