cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sooooo many "The Aussie Voice" freelancers from all over the world...

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
31 of 121

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

It doesn't seem like UW really considers people being approved with fake information to be much of an issue.

Again.

Most of them I checked were **NOT** approved.

Why Upwork leaves rejected profiles searchable and allows them to be indexed by Google is another question.

Rejected profiles should be set private and removed after 30 days or whatever.

For the ones that have not been set to private, I am assuming that they are approved if they are visible in a freelancer search. Why would the unapproved ones be searchable?

If I can see them, presumably the clients can as well. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 121

Renata S wrote:

For the ones that have not been set to private, I am assuming that they are approved if they are visible in a freelancer search. Why would the unapproved ones be searchable?

Assuming is a dangerous game.

And yes, clients can *see* them, but neither invite them nor hire them.

This one is rejected. (seen from client account) There is neither a Hire nor an Invite to job button

The bit below is proof of a rejected account - when people set their availability to "not available" it looks different.

not approved.jpg

renata101
Community Guru
33 of 121

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

Assuming is a dangerous game.

And yes, clients can *see* them, but neither invite them nor hire them.

This one is rejected. (seen from client account) There is neither a Hire nor an Invite to job button

The bit below is proof of a rejected account - when people set their availability to "not available" it looks different.

not approved.jpg

Thanks, Petra. I didn't know that even existed. 

As of this afternoon, it looks like there's only about three of them left. So it looks like the problem has been resolved and maybe they'll have some way of identifying any more that are incoming. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
34 of 121

Renata S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

As of this afternoon, it looks like there's only about three of them left. So it looks like the problem has been resolved and maybe they'll have some way of identifying any more that are incoming. 

One step at a time.

Small steps are still steps.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
35 of 121

The flow of fake profiles continues:

The voice overs...

And the Aussie voices...

The support ticket number today is 25943105. Have a good day Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
36 of 121

Rene K wrote:

The voice overs...

And the Aussie voices...

What are those links supposed to go to, Rene? The first one goes to a blank page, the second to one UW profile.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
37 of 121

Thank you for providing this report, Rene. I'll go ahead and share it with our team for further investigation.

~ Bojan
Upwork
renata101
Community Guru
38 of 121

Rene K wrote:

The voice overs...

And the Aussie voices...

René, I think your thread got eaten by this one. 

You can have even more fun by searching for freelancers using the string "micro studio based in". It's possible to install a micro studio in places you can't even imagine. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
39 of 121

Did you see this one - this is literally what it looks like. And the location? Parisot, France  - 8:12 pm local time - 1 hr behind:

As one of the top video editors and script writers on freelancing sites for over 10 years. we have a micro studio based in New York, owned and operated by team of video and audio editors producers.

As one of the top video editors and script writers on freelancing sites for over 10 years. we have a micro studio based in New York, owned and operated by team of video and audio editors producers

As one of the top video editors and script writers on freelancing sites for over 10 years. we have a micro studio based in New York, owned and operated by team of video and audio editors producers

Makes me wonder what the (non-existent) process is for profile approval ...  Smiley Indifferent

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
40 of 121

Virginia F wrote:

Makes me wonder what the (non-existent) process is for profile approval ...  Smiley Indifferent

If all of the online advice about getting profile approval is to be believed, the process is simply to claim possession of a skill that isn't oversubscribed already, and boom, you're in. Or, you can purchase a profile from somebody else (which I believe is the motivation behind many of the "I've forgotten my username and password" and "I need access to my old account" posts in the forum). And even if you're blatantly caught red-handed doing either of these things, it seems unlikely that you'll be permanently banned. 

I think that Upwork should consider charging an application fee; that would sort out a lot of the scamming and reduce the number of new applicants per day.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS