Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Sooooo many "The Aussie Voice" freelancers from all over the world...

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
51 of 121

Petra R wrote:

Avery O wrote:

Hi Virginia, and Jennifer, 


I have checked the accounts related to the videos you have noted and can confirm that actions have been taken against them. The videos, and their links have also been shared with the team for their review and action. Thank you for flagging these here.


That does not solve the underlying problem.

Auto-accepting profiles based on (at best) questionable criteria and auto-rejecting others based on equally questionable ones was always going to lead to such nonsense.

 

At the same time long term genuine freelancers are made to jump through all sorts of hoops, while clear, obvious, proven fraudsters are reported again and again and their profiles remain.

 

 


Exactly ... it would be interesting to see what would happen if they would just stop for a few days. Put up a "Sorry, closed for maintenance" sign. And then spend some time doing some serious house-cleaning.

 

I''ve said this before, and I'll say it again. Upwork will never be able to ID everyone. Not when a thousand people are (easily) signing up daily, filling their profiles with lies and more lies, and hey presto, they're accepted because they ticked all the right boxes. IDV is an effort in futility.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
52 of 121

Virginia F wrote:

 

I''ve said this before, and I'll say it again. Upwork will never be able to ID everyone. Not when a thousand people are (easily) signing up daily, filling their profiles with lies and more lies, and hey presto, they're accepted because they ticked all the right boxes. IDV is an effort in futility.


Upwork is not verifying everyone's identity, or proposing to do so. They have extrapolated from a two-phase pilot that they are able to verify the identity (insofar as their process does such a thing) for all earning freelancers—which simultaneously gives them a workable population and an enforcement mechanism.

Identify verification and profile acceptance criteria are two separate aspects of assuring the integrity of the freelancer pool.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
53 of 121

What if Upwork closes profile submissions and decides to only accept submissions recommended by a top rated earning Upwork freelancer?

 

These submissions would be manually evaluated and top rated people could recommend only one or two persons per month.

 

I have no idea if this makes any sense, but it would not be worse than what we have.

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
54 of 121

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

 

I''ve said this before, and I'll say it again. Upwork will never be able to ID everyone. Not when a thousand people are (easily) signing up daily, filling their profiles with lies and more lies, and hey presto, they're accepted because they ticked all the right boxes. IDV is an effort in futility.


Upwork is not verifying everyone's identity, or proposing to do so. They have extrapolated from a two-phase pilot that they are able to verify the identity (insofar as their process does such a thing) for all earning freelancers—which simultatneously gives them a workable population and an enforcement mechanism.

Identify verification and profile acceptance criteria are two separate aspects of assuring the integrity of the freelancer pool.


In some thread somewhere, in a galaxy far, far away, it was stated that everyone's ID would be verified ... which is an impossibility. Perhaps I misunderstood.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
55 of 121

Virginia F wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

 

I''ve said this before, and I'll say it again. Upwork will never be able to ID everyone. Not when a thousand people are (easily) signing up daily, filling their profiles with lies and more lies, and hey presto, they're accepted because they ticked all the right boxes. IDV is an effort in futility.


Upwork is not verifying everyone's identity, or proposing to do so. They have extrapolated from a two-phase pilot that they are able to verify the identity (insofar as their process does such a thing) for all earning freelancers—which simultatneously gives them a workable population and an enforcement mechanism.

Identify verification and profile acceptance criteria are two separate aspects of assuring the integrity of the freelancer pool.


In some thread somewhere, in a galaxy far, far away, it was stated that everyone's ID would be verified ... which is an impossibility. Perhaps I misunderstood.


Upwork floated that option at one point, and may have instituted random checks. That is not the current policy, which has been under discussion in Announcements for a month or so.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
56 of 121
A
Avery O wrote:

Hi Virginia, and Jennifer, 


I have checked the accounts related to the videos you have noted and can confirm that actions have been taken against them. The videos, and their links have also been shared with the team for their review and action. Thank you for flagging these here.


All due respect Avery - it wasn't just that girl and that guy ... it was hundreds of adoring fans thanking them profusely for sharing their secrets about how to get your profile accepted after being rejected. And hey, they tried those tips ... and it worked. Smiley Frustrated

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
57 of 121

Christine A wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

 

Makes me wonder what the (non-existent) process is for profile approval ...  Smiley Indifferent


If all of the online advice about getting profile approval is to be believed, the process is simply to claim possession of a skill that isn't oversubscribed already, and boom, you're in. Or, you can purchase a profile from somebody else (which I believe is the motivation behind many of the "I've forgotten my username and password" and "I need access to my old account" posts in the forum). And even if you're blatantly caught red-handed doing either of these things, it seems unlikely that you'll be permanently banned. 

 

I think that Upwork should consider charging an application fee; that would sort out a lot of the scamming and reduce the number of new applicants per day.

 


Or, since they have to talk to customer service anyway, why not make them video verify when they try to reset their passwords to at least make sure the picture matches?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
58 of 121

So, the loophole that allows anyone and their cousin to get their profile automatically approved, the so-called "The Aussie Voice" loophole is still wide open and fake accounts are still being created en masse by all kind of fakers:

 

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?q=%22As%20one%20of%20the%20top%20voice%20over%20and%20aud...

 

The tickets number 26052183 and 25943105 were all in vain.

 

Upwork, your are making an embarrassment of yourselves. You're the Internet lolcow.

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
59 of 121

Rene K wrote:

So, the loophole that allows anyone and their cousin to get their profile automatically approved, the so-called "The Aussie Voice" loophole is still wide open and fake accounts are still being created en masse by all kind of fakers:


Yes, but it is so helpful when they post in the forum to ask if they've been approved so they can be flagged and kicked off again.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
60 of 121

Petra R wrote:

Rene K wrote:

So, the loophole that allows anyone and their cousin to get their profile automatically approved, the so-called "The Aussie Voice" loophole is still wide open and fake accounts are still being created en masse by all kind of fakers:


Yes, but it is so helpful when they post in the forum to ask if they've been approved so they can be flagged and kicked off again.


_________________________

 

At the top of René's link is the little flame of encouragement: 

62 Voice Over experts saved in the past day. Invite your favorites now!

 

Way to go Upwork ...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS