Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting and filing Messages

Highlighted
Community Leader
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
1 of 4

Is there a way to categorize or tag message threads on UW? I have been contracted to serve as managing editor for a new blog site. There are half a dozen UW freelancers writing articles and I will be communicating with each one individually on a weekly basis--assigning topics, reviewing submissions and revisions, etc.

I am exchanging email addresses with the writers so we have a backup in case UW gets wobbly at an inconvenient moment, but I plan to use UW messaging as our primary comms channel. It would make my life a lot easier if I could subdivide my list of Messages, the way you can use tags and folders in Google mail.

Is there a way to do this? If not, does anybody have other suggestions? (From my own perspective, it would be simplest to just use email and have the client set up a project email address where we could cc everything for archival purposes. But if I were a writer on this project, I would want to use UW comms to optimize my own protection, and I think that is fair.)

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 4

Phyllis G wrote:

Is there a way to categorize or tag message threads on UW? I have been contracted to serve as managing editor for a new blog site. There are half a dozen UW freelancers writing articles and I will be communicating with each one individually on a weekly basis--assigning topics, reviewing submissions and revisions, etc.

I am exchanging email addresses with the writers so we have a backup in case UW gets wobbly at an inconvenient moment, but I plan to use UW messaging as our primary comms channel. It would make my life a lot easier if I could subdivide my list of Messages, the way you can use tags and folders in Google mail.

Is there a way to do this? If not, does anybody have other suggestions? (From my own perspective, it would be simplest to just use email and have the client set up a project email address where we could cc everything for archival purposes. But if I were a writer on this project, I would want to use UW comms to optimize my own protection, and I think that is fair.)

Phyllis, I don't use the Upwork Message Center any more then I absolutly have to. So that part of your question, I can't address.

But I do want to say something about your client, and your other question.

1. Your client has a team. Maybe just a writing team, but quite possibly others as well. Your client should have a Project Panagement site tool. This would allow you and the writing team to commmunicate, share files, and track task progress. The fact your client has not gone this route indicates they are not particular organized. Sorry your having to deal with this, because I can see this client not being on top of things. 

2. Since this client apparently does not have a PM tool, your only recourse is to go the second route. The client should provide you a company email you can use to communicate with the writing team. And in any case, you MUST have a way to communicate and share files with that team outside of the Upwork Message Center, in case it gets buggy (which happens a lot).

3. The writing team should be prepared to communicate through regular email. That does not mean they HAVE to, but anyone who works on Upwork, and I don't care what country they are from, should:

Have a means to communicate with the client (and staff, like you in this case) through alternative means other then the Upwork Message Center. If for no other reason than it goes down all the **bleep** time. 

I hope this helps. And congrats on the new Job!

Community Manager
Valeria K Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 4

Hi Phillys,

Unfortunately, there is no option to create folders or categories for rooms in Messages at the moment. However, you can tag messages and rooms as "Favorite" and then access them easily:

Screenshot_21.png

Screenshot_22.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 4

Thanks, Valeria. That's what I thought. 

Since UW is constantly nagging us to keep comm's on the platform, and there are some obvious benefits to doing that with respect to archiving/documenting, it would be great if the engineering team would prioritize making the message platform more useful. Some kind of mash-up of Skype and Gmail functionality would be ideal for me right now (although that could change!).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
User Accepted Solutions Count
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS