🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Sourcing another freelancer for a certain par...
Page options
jonesbenjamin28
Community Member

Sourcing another freelancer for a certain part of a project for a client—what are the rules?

Hi, 

One of my ongoing clients has tasked me with finding a freelancer for them for a certain aspect of a project I am working on for them.

What are the Upwork terms that relate to this? 

I have a few options I am looking at, on and off Upwork. 

Are there are rules relating me to recommending them to someone not on Upwork?

I was never going to personally be doing this part of the project.  

I absolutely do not want to break any of Upworks terms here so I am treading carefully around it. 

Thank you 

8 REPLIES 8
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ben,

I suggest checking section 2.1 and section 7 of the User Agreement for more information. Note that subcontracting is allowed on Fixed-Price contracts as long as the client is informed about the subcontracting.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Ben,

I suggest checking section 2.1 and section 7 of the User Agreement for more information. Note that subcontracting is allowed on Fixed-Price contracts as long as the client is informed about the subcontracting

Thank you.

Hello @Aleksandar D

In one of the threads, Petra mentioned Freelancers are no longer needed to inform the client when sub-contracting. 

Can you please re-check? 

Thanks

Hi Ashraf,

You are correct, it's not required to inform the client. But as best practice, you can consider disclosing that information with the client in order to ensure there's no confusion. 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Ben, I work on a lot of complex projects that require more than myself to do the work. I just tell the client to hire other people directly.

Whether I help find the other freelancers, or let the project manager or client do that, it doesn't matter.

The client hired me. He can also hire others.

Thank you for your comments – That's very helpful of you! 

From what I can make out from the terms and other comments, is that it is OK for me to put the client in touch with other freelancers or companies. 

The contract is not fixed. It is hourly. And I am only getting paid for the work I do. I am not subcontracting. It would be complicated for what is needed to be done. The client needs to hire someone else. But they have also tasked me with helping them do this.

Just wanted to make sure I am not breaking any rules here.

Thank you.

Thank you, Aleksander. There won't be any sub contracting going on. The client has asked me to find them someone to work for them on a part of the project I will not be doing. 

Ben, I have no idea why everyone is going on about subcontracting either...

Your client can add you to their team and give you recruiting privileges, which would allow you to handle recruitment of freelancers from the client's account. The client would hire and pay the freelancer(s).

As far as "outside the platform" is concerned, the client would still have to hire such people that you find through Upwork because they were introduced to them via a person they met on Upwork (you).

martinceisel
Community Member

Not sure if this feature is enabled on your profile, but you could make use of the Refer a Freelancer function. Given your circumstance, this might not make since, as you can only refer jobs you've been invited to.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths