🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Spam (Lead generation jobs) - Be Careful ...
Page options
74f3ec70
Community Member

Spam (Lead generation jobs) - Be Careful of Facebook Hackers

I did fall weeks ago for a client who sent me a spammed file and unfortunately, he got access to my Facebook account, where he posted something against community standards and made the Facebook team because of that disabling my account which was so smart of him during this period while he was stealing my client's credit card by creating ads, I managed after a lot of hassle to reach Facebook and reported the case and still under investigation.

But that again happened yesterday with someone new, the client (payment method verified & Upwork plus client but no jobs history), sent me a spammed file but I didn't fall for it as he sent (EXE file) so you guys should take care of that (Open only file's extensions JPG/DOCX/XLSX/PDF/PPTX/PPT) and never open any file's extensions (EXE), and am sharing this so everyone will be aware of the scamming process which happens repeatedly a lot and I started to feel scared to replay to any client or press on any link the client send (bearing in mind that I do communicate inside Upwork only).

As I started to feel that the pool of the jobs related to social ads are targeting us for hacking instead of the am the one who is hunting the job I feel like that am the one getting hunted by them for stealing.

I need someone from the support team to take this further, I flagged the suspicious job but there was no action taken on any response I received from Upworkteam yet, but you need a find a way to secure us from spam.

Thanks in Advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Reem,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.
Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about team's initiatives. Feel free to check an update in this post for more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.

Regarding the response from our team. Did you flag the job posts using the Report Suspicious User Activity? If so please note that because of security and privacy concerns, we will not be able to share the results or findings of our investigations with you. We take all reports seriously, and we will take action as provided for in our Terms of Service.
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
NikolaS

Hi Reem,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.
Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about team's initiatives. Feel free to check an update in this post for more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.

Regarding the response from our team. Did you flag the job posts using the Report Suspicious User Activity? If so please note that because of security and privacy concerns, we will not be able to share the results or findings of our investigations with you. We take all reports seriously, and we will take action as provided for in our Terms of Service.
~ Nikola
Upwork
74f3ec70
Community Member

Hi Nikola, thanks for your reply.

Yes I did flag the jobs and I just wanted to highlight it to avoid this for all of us, am sure that Upwork team is putting alot of effort in this and it's really appreciated ☺️

bashir0609
Community Member

Yes, my Facebook ads account also got restricted cause of a spammer accepting invitations. Now my Ad account permanently disabled

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Bashir

Hi Bashir,

Thank you for your message. Could you please clarify your concern further?

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
priyadhiman
Community Member

Hi Guys, 

Just want to update you that there are a few common ask from the hackers:

- They are going to advertise and ask for Facebook ads only

- They are quite new on Upwork and have 2-3 jobs open with the same title (Facebook ads optimization)

- They will share the link to download from wetransfer and doc/pdf file containing the .exe extensions and aprox. 1 GB of doc/pdf file size

- Sometime they hire us directly

Just want to highlight please check the extension before you open any file.

I hope this help!

priyadhiman_0-1681311694158.png

Thanks,

Priya 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths