🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Spam and duplicate job posts
Page options
6d0dd851
Community Member

Spam and duplicate job posts

Hi everyone!  I am a complete newbie to Upwork, as I just created my account yesterday, 6/26/22.
I am looking to explore a completely different career path and thought Upwork was a great place to start.  I did the profile work - 95% - and started viewing job options.  It seems there is a lot of noise with duplicate job postings for freelancers to sift through and some very sketchy job postings that set off many alarms for shady and illegitimate postings.  As an example, I submitted a proposal for a basic proofreading posting yesterday, Sunday, and received a message from the "author" within an hour.  I was immediately suspicious by the language and grammar used in the email.  I continued the process to learn more because that's how I roll.  🙂
Not surprising that I received email this morning from Upwork - see below.  Is this relatively normal?  I don't have the time to assess and sort through a pile of fake postings.

We wanted to let you know that a job you submitted a proposal for, **edited for Community Guidelines** , has been removed from our marketplace.

In order to protect the safety and trust of the Upwork marketplace, we remove job posts when we learn that they do not meet our Terms of Service.

2 REPLIES 2
pgiambalvo
Community Member

It is very normal, especially for that job type. Sorry. Be wary and be ready to wade through a lot of those to find a legit one.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Beth, 

I checked your account and can see that you have yet to save a keyword search on your job feed. The jobs on your job feed are based on the filters of your Saved Search. This means that when you search for jobs and save them, our system will remember the criteria you've chosen and will try to suggest the nearest jobs you've saved and searched. However, if there is none saved, it will be based on your categories. I highly recommend that you start manually searching and saving projects from time to time to easily filter jobs that meet the parameters of your Saved Search. However, I would like to set your expectation that the effect will not be immediate as it also takes some time to fetch the results.

Since you are new to Upwork, it would be best to read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, these articles and this article in the Community for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members