cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spam email keep sending out from my odesk account and i don't know how to stop it

Highlighted
Leonora T Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
1 of 21

Spam email keep sending out from my odesk account and i don't know how to stop it. I already asked hekp from Odesk support but still keepon sending. Kindly help what to do.

It's sending to all my contacts. Just saw that as of 2:42 another email send to my old contact and it's frustrating coz I already run virus check and there's nothingon my computer. 

Email asking to click a certain site. Attached is screenshot.

Please help me. It's frustrating.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 21

Leonora,

This is not an oDesk issue.

Your understanding of what is happening is only partially correct.

You checked your computer for viruses. The problem is probably not on your computer. The problem is with your email account.

ODesk did not provide you with the email account which has a problem.

You entered your email address into your oDesk settings as the email address you wish oDesk to use to contact you. But you could enter a different email address. Odesk is not sending the spam messages. The contact list which is being sent spam email is not an oDesk contact list.

If you want to keep your oDesk experience "clean" and safe, you should open your oDesk settings and CHANGE the email address to a different one. To be safe, you should use a different email service and/or domain name.

You should change the password used for the email account which has been hacked. You may wish to stop using that email address entirely, depending on how severe the problem is.

Keep in mind that the fact that your email address was hacked and started sending out spam likely will result in the email address being blacklisted. Some people will not be able to receive messages from that address.

If you need more help, you will have to contact the service provider of your hacked email address. Do not contact oDesk about this any more. Your hacked email address does not include "@odesk.com" as part of the address.

Highlighted
3 of 21

hello,

already asked help several times from odesk support. follow all their instruction.

Now I even change my email address coz they say,my email has been compromise and have virus so i created fresh new email account for my odesk account  BUT upon checking my account,there it is again..several spam emails have been send out frm my odesk account. 

what should i do?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 21

Hi Leonora,

I am sorry about the inconvenience and frustration this situation has caused you. Preston gave a very good explanation why such an unfortunate situation might happen.

I would also like to add that it often happens when you give a permission to certain application to use your email contacts. Please, try removing all oDesk messages and contacts from your email account.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 21

I feel bad for your situation, Leonora, but oDesk is not the cause of this problem.

There are many things that oDesk might do that annoy me, but I can tell you they don't send spam email to people in your contact list.

And they don't issue email addresses to contractors.

So these messages are not associated with your "odesk acount." They are associated with an email address you created with with a third-party company, an address you happen to be using with your oDesk account.

From what you have said, here are a few very real possibilities:

1. The computer you use on a regular basis is compromised. There is a virus or spyware or malware on it which is serving up your confidential information, such as the username and password for your email account, to robot programs which are using that information to spend spam.

and/or

2. the email software system you use, whether desktop-based or web-based, is compromised.

I strongly suspect that you did not change your username and password associated with this email system, even after all this started.

So you changed your email address, but you're still back to where you started.

If you are serious about being safe with your identity information and if you really want to use Odesk without risking this happening, here is what you need to do:

You should re-check your computer for spyware, viruses and malware. SpyBot and Malware Bytes are two trusted (and free) programs for doing this. Beware of certain "free" programs which claim to check for viruses but which are actually, themselves, viruses or spyware.

(If possible, for the highest level of security, you should have your computer's hard drive completely erased and re-formatted and the operating system re-installed from scratch. I realize this may seem extreme and may be beyond your abilities, but where I work, we do this on a regular basis.)

Also, you need to STOP USING whatever email program you are currently using, and use something else. You need to stop using whatever online email service you are currently using. Because clearly it's not working for you and you lack the expertise necessary to use it without having this problem recur. (I probably lack the expertise, too. Don't take it as a criticism.) Rather than hope an insecure email system can be made secure, it is better to use a different system.

Very important: You need to change the LAST PART of your email address, not just the first part. You need to change the domain name. So, for example, let's say your current email address is "leonora@hackmail.com"...

The problem isn't the "leonora" part. The problem is what comes after the "at" symbol (@).

Some of my advice here may be difficult to follow. You might not be able to do it all.

But at the very least, do these two things:

1) thoroughly check your computer for viruses/malware/spyware.

2) change the domain name of your email address (everything after the @ symbol).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Manish A Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
6 of 21

Golden advices from Preston, just to add one, always keep your professional e-mail ID private and never ever share it with untrusted sources.

Highlighted
7 of 21

Hello,

So I already tried all that you said. Run anti-virus which was refered/adviced by Odesk team Avira and trendmicro on my computer. Also changed to different email..change name and also service provider (from gmail to yahoo). I also deleted all my odesk contacts from my old gmail and also all conversation but so frustrated but still when I checked now, there's still spam email from my odesk account.It's haven't stop at all. 

Another odesk support told me to run Super anti-spy and I also run that to my computer...

What else am I missing?

Please help!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Manish A Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
8 of 21

As preston said; (If possible, for the highest level of security, you should have your computer's hard drive completely erased and re-formatted and the operating system re-installed from scratch. I realize this may seem extreme and may be beyond your abilities, but where I work, we do this on a regular basis.)

seems to be the last option, and as far as I am concerned it totally works.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 21
It is possible at this point that your oDesk account has been hacked directly, that a bot or individual actually has your oDesk username and password.

I am worried somebody will get your banking info.

Try this:
Stop using your primary computer for a while.
Change your oDesk password, from another computer.
Then change the email address used within your oDesk account. Use a different password there too.

If you do this , there should be no way for the bots to access your email account information.

If you continue to use a different computer and find no more spam is being sent out, you can be pretty sure that your primary computer has been compromised.
Community Guru
10 of 21

Based on what some forum posters are saying in the thread titled "Spam messages sent from me?", it seems that this problem can be traced to oDesk users who are linking their social media accounts to their oDesk accounts.

The hacking, then, could be coming not directly from your computer, but from untrustworthy social media applications that have been granted access to your email address information and contact list via social media sites such as Facebook. Another forum poster there said that he was able to stop the spam by going into his ODesk control settings and turning of all notifications, so that oDesk never send email about any events.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS