cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam email keep sending out from my odesk account and i don't know how to stop it

Highlighted
Evgeniya K Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
11 of 21

I have not linked any social media accounts to my oDesk account.

Those spam messages are sent from my account too.

changed my email in my Odesk account and today spam messages are still being sent.

This problem is not related to my PC, it's an ODesk issue. Still have no resolution from the support.

Highlighted
janice a Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
12 of 21
SPAM MESSAGES ARE BEING SENT FROM MY ACCOUNT TOO - it's odesk that is compromised, not our emails... Your server is hacked. We are all experiencing it. Please do something about it...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 21

I now believe that oDesk has unintentionally become a key component in a hacking/spam campaign.

This might be something that is being done manually by somebody outside oDesk, or it may be something which is being done by automated spambots. But something is clearly going on here.

I was trying to be helpful to Leonora when I suggested oDesk is not the cause of spam email being sent to contacts.

But after hearing from other people, such as Janice and Loona - people who are not connecting social media accounts to oDesk or doing anything else I would regard as risky... I believe my initial assumptions were incorrect.

If it was one person (Leonora), that would be another matter. But there are many people on this and other threads reporting the same problem. They are reporting problems with spam being sent from email accounts tied very directly to their oDesk accounts... accounts created specifically for use only with oDesk.

I say this not to castigate oDesk, but in an attempt to clarify what I think is going on, what they hopefully already realize is going on, and in the hope that it will be resolved.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 21

Hi all,

I have an update from the oDesk Security Team about this issue. The reason for the spam messages being sent is, in most cases, a compromised email account. On this thread a lot of information has been provided about how to secure a compromised email account. Here is an additional article about it.

Additionally, oDesk Technical Support will have to mute affected Message Center threads in order to stop the spam from continuing on those threads. They have been working on already reported cases. If you face the issue, please report it to Customer Support.

Thank you for your cooperation!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Bozho I Member Since: Jan 21, 2015
15 of 21

**edited for Community Guidelines**

When I download and extracted the file directly from the oDesk side, the file turned to be CTB-Locker, a virus who encrypted many of my PC files!

I have notified the developer, who was completely shocked about the issue, as he stated this is not in relation to this scam activity!

I asked oDesk on how to process, as their system is the one who allowed virus upload... and because of that my PC got harmed. Instead of taking care of my issue (caused by the oDesk site), Odesk has completely ignored my request to help decrypting my PC files **edited**

I've stressed out again and again oDesk security team asking from them to retrieve the private key that can be used to decrypt my files paying the ransom on the CTB Locker Site (if needs to).

I am avail to share py PC via Team Viewer OR oDesk to find someone in Malaga or Cadiz Area (Spain) who can use R-tool or any other forensic tool to recover data from my HDD.

There are over 100K encrypted files on my PC totalling demages of over 100K Euro paid by me during the last 8 years and stored on my PC infected by oDesk.

Odesk has all the freelancer all over the world and the appropriate one can be hired by the odesk team in order my files to be decrypted ASAP.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
16 of 21

Hi Bozho,

I'll have someone follow up with you directly to investigate this issue.

Highlighted
Anuj T Member Since: May 26, 2015
17 of 21

Hi ,

I am facing the same issues. It is surprising how come suddenly there are quite a few users on Odesk who have their email account compromised within a short amount of time.

I have reset my password and completely not used the first machine(desktop) that i used initially. the issue came back again.

I strongly suspect there is strong possibility that oDesk servers could be compromised as well.

Kind Rgds,

Anuj

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 21

Hi Anuj,

Sorry to hear you have faced this issue. I would also suggest you change password for the email address that you use for Upwork. Often times spam issues occur because access has been allowed to your email account address book.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Nelson L Member Since: May 22, 2011
19 of 21

I agree to those who said it is an odesk issue. Because i tried all the solutions mentioned by customer care and the spam keeps coming. The funny thing is, if the email account is hacked, why does it only affect odesk only? my email isn't sending spam messages to other recepient.

I believe this is a loophole and hopefully someday odesk will fix this issue.

Highlighted
Azgar H Member Since: Aug 10, 2015
20 of 21

i want to stop upwork to send any email to my gmail address.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS