cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam job posting

Gulzar A Member Since: May 26, 2015
1 of 8

Hi UpWorker,

Today I asked a question to UpWork support and I am sure most freelancer should like to get the answare:

"I want to know, how many days a client able to open a job without hiring anyone. It seems some client post a job but do not followup with it.

For freelancer, there are limitation to submit proposal, but for client there are no limitation for such spam activities. I am saying it spam because if a client post a job and keep it open without hiring anyone, it is nothing but a spam.

So, do upwork thinking about it? If not, should start thinking. It's really frustrate a freelancer to submit a proposal as in a good fit for the job, because he will lost 2 connets and the freelancer not know while it is a real job or a spam."

Please post your comments.

Thanking you

Gulzar

Gulzar
Loving remote work......
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

A job posting expires within 30 days.

It is not Spam as such, a client can not be forced to hire someone if the right fit for their project is not apparent in the list of applicants, or the client is simply not yet ready to do so because maybe their project got delayed. It is entirely (and quite rightly so) up to the client. They may find that they don't particularly feel that any of the applicants would be ideal, they may want to wait and see who else applies, or they may have the same job on several platforms. All of which is their right...

Once you have applied and spent your Connects it makes no difference at all to you whether the client closes the job or hires someone else or just abandons the project. Your Connects have been spent.

If it is important to you you can check the client's hire rate, and not apply if it is low. The lower the client's hire rate the less likely he is to hire, so if you find that you have few connects left, don't apply to such job postings.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

Seriously, Gulzar, this is not spam.

I am also a client. I have a high hire rate. But I have posted legitimate jobs for which no appropriate candidate applied. That is not spam.

Upwork is not here to make sure you get hired even if a candidate does not want to hire you.

Upwork provides a service to clients. If they don't want to hire somebody, they should not have to.

It does not cost you anything but a little time to apply.

If a client is a habitual non-hirer, Upwork will deal with them and suspend them if their behavior does not improve.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
4 of 8

@Petra R wrote:

A job posting expires within 30 days.

Only if the Client has made no interaction to the post. A client can have a project posting open indefinitely and hire no-one.

Old Posts.jpg

These are definitely Spam/Scam postings. And after 1-2 years, still stealing connects and other things.

Old Posts_Graph.jpg

But you are correct that more can be done by just looking at hire rates. However almost half of all posts hire no-one, so there is an issue.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Disintermediation-amp-Scamming/m-p/103644/highlight/true...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Open-Jobs-Trending-Down-Upwork-Statistics/m-p/107993/hig...

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
5 of 8

Thank you Petra. Your guideline is very helpful and I appreciate it. But it makes difference if the job cancel by client without hiring or upwork close the job due to any reason, then freelancer get back their 2 connects as they spent 2 by submitting the proposal. You should know that.

Petra, I want to let you know, why I concerned about this issue.
Upwork is now top most workplace with lots of quality and experienced freelancers. After posting a job 80% proposal submitted within 24 to 48 hours. (For 30 day's, as I personally observed more then 1000 jobs last 35 days). Most of the client hire his selected freelancer within 8 to 12 days and if the client not find any freelancer who match his requirement then after 12 or 14 days no client bother to get back to that job. I didn't found any activity after 15 days with any job I observed.

As I already said, at present there are lots of good freelancer working hear. The competition is very strong hear which is positive. So the more we can submit proposal, the chances to get a job will be more.

I am requesting to upwork product team to thinking about to close a job posting automatically after 15 days of no hires. If so, then the freelancer may get their connect back and able to submit proposal to another job.

For freelancer's success it should be a great point to improve the Upwork platform.

Thanking you

Gulzar
Loving remote work......
Community Guru
6 of 8

@Gulzar A wrote:

After posting a job 80% proposal submitted within 24 to 48 hours. (For 30 day's, as I personally observed more then 1000 jobs last 35 days). Most of the client hire his selected freelancer within 8 to 12 days and if the client not find any freelancer who match his requirement then after 12 or 14 days no client bother to get back to that job. I didn't found any activity after 15 days with any job I observed.

I am quite interested in this dataset, your methods and data collection. Would be great if you could share said information with the rest of us.

I found it quite difficult to monitor 500 jobs over 30 days, only checking thrice.

7 of 8
Thank you, I am happy to share it. But you must agree with that, nobody like anybody. Such, something is easy for you but it may very difficult for me, other way - the observation I did may difficult for someone. It's not a big deal. You may not like my way of observation or I may not think about the way you monitor.
Gulzar
Loving remote work......
Community Guru
8 of 8
@ Gulzar,

I am in no way trying to discredit your observations. I am actually impressed if you were able to accomplish such a feat. Hence why I am interested in the data and the methods.

Can you post some results here? As well as the methods?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS