🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Spammy job postings
Page options
decodistny
Community Member

Spammy job postings

Hello,

Now that job searches can be filtered by hourly rate (which is very helpful), it seems that some poeple are taking advantage of this and spamming search results.

The main culprit is huge hourly rate ranges. For example:

- "Automation Expert" at $25 - $150 per hour

- "Software Architect" at $30 - $150 per hour

Perhaps a limit could be put in place - say, only allow a range of Low End + 50%? Or, allow job posts to be "open to offers", rather than force the manipulation of the hourly rate.

This would certainly clean-up search results for everyone. It may also improve the quality of the job matching process. A win-win.

5 REPLIES 5
bilsim
Community Member

Jason M S wrote:

Hello,

Now that job searches can be filtered by hourly rate (which is very helpful), it seems that some poeple are taking advantage of this and spamming search results.

The main culprit is huge hourly rate ranges. For example:

- "Automation Expert" at $25 - $150 per hour

- "Software Architect" at $30 - $150 per hour

Perhaps a limit could be put in place - say, only allow a range of Low End + 50%? Or, allow job posts to be "open to offers", rather than force the manipulation of the hourly rate.

This would certainly clean-up search results for everyone. It may also improve the quality of the job matching process. A win-win.

It already is. If a client places $25 - $150, the maximum they will be paying is $50, most likely. You just need to learn to read between the lines. You may also check their previously paid average to get some better idea. For instance, was this client's previous average paid per hour closer to 25 or 150? I bet it's 25.  

Yes, I agree with you. This is too much work and cros-checking, but it is what it is. 

Another problem with the search is that the clients lie when they propose an hourly rate. Then you will waste time again.

Should the community tollerate this bad behavior, though?

Ultimately, my point is that the platform could be doing a better job of weeding-out job postings that are clearly intended to manipulate search results. 

Jason M S wrote:

Ultimately, my point is that the platform could be doing a better job of weeding-out job postings that are clearly intended to manipulate search results. 

Unfortunately, it seems some bad behavior is tolerated to clients: multiple profiles, lying about their location on their profile, rate manipulation, hour logging manipulation and a lot more. Not sure what to say, I don't have the answer. Some justify it by the fact that if they put a lot of restrictions and make the process cumbersome for clients (a lot of filters), this will drag the clients away. They want to make it easy for clients, but it also makes it very easy for scammers and all sorts of fraud. Despite all this, it is still possible to filter clients (at least to a reasonable degree) but the process is not always simple or linear. 

Jason M S wrote:

Whyever not? What is "bad" about it anyway?

I bid my rate. I mostly completely ignore the range unless it is ridiculously low or the client's history shows that they will never pay my rate.

What is wrong with a client basically saying "I don't know what I'll have to pay for this, you tell me".

I fail to see the problem.

The words "bad behavior" were probably a poor choice on my part.

Clients saying "I don't know" is to be expected. Completely agree.

But, the platform hides this option when creating a new job. Also, it's not clear that setting a very wide rate range may backfire and result in the client being ignored. 

I'm therefore proposing that this is handled better at the time of job creation. In theory, this would improve both the quality of search results for the freelancer community and the quality of applications that the client recieves. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members