🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Spanish - LATAM or Spain or Neutral
Page options
debi-f
Community Member

Spanish - LATAM or Spain or Neutral

Hello

I see that in the offers there are clients that ask for Castillian or LATAM Spanish translation.

Usually, if the client asks for Spanish from Spain I don´t apply because I'm from LATAM.

But, in most topics -like Health and Science in my case- there is no difference in the Spanish language, there are formal and specific terminology that don't change. The differences are in the daily language / dialect but not in the more formal or professional language. 

I'd like to suggest to add "Neutral Spanish" to your skills options. Is the universal Spanish that is understood everywhere. So, any Spanish translator can apply to any Spanish translation job. If the client needs a specific country dialect he can ask specifically for it. 

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Failing that change by Upwork any time soon, keep in mind that you can apply to any job, whether or not you fulfill all of the potential client's stated criteria.

At least some of your potential clients will be aware of the uniformity of Spanish translations for your specialized translation skills. Does it make sense to also incorporate into your Upwork profile title something like "Global Standard Health and Sciences Translation Services (English/Spanish/English)"? 

Good luck!

debi-f
Community Member

Hi!

In my offer is written that I translate to Neutral Spanish. But, if the client asks for Spanish from Spain / Castillian, I will not use my Connects. I can't know if he knows that there is almost no difference in the formal / professional language, I assume that he wants a translator from Spain.

That's why I ask to add the option "Neutral Spanish" to give more options for clients and providers. 

Thank you for your answer!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

If I were you I'd try submitting at least 10 - 20 proposals on those sorts of problematic projects to see if (m)any those clients know what you know about translations in your areas of specialty.

If, say, one quarter or even one tenth of them respond positively (at least asking for an interview), would it be worth your while to submit proposals on all such projects that interest you?

Sending proposals is just a specific form of advertising our services here on Upwork. But we all have to recognize, "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I don't know which half."

I don't think paying for some connects to find out what works and what doesn't work is a waste of time or money. 

debi-f
Community Member

Is ok I send proposals if I'm interested.

Do you think that is too difficult to add "Neutral Spanish" to the skills? 

Thanks!

Hi Débora,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback, I will be sure to share it with our team for further review and consideration. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
debi-f
Community Member

Thanks, I hope to find soon the option "Neutral Spanish" as a new Skill.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Débora F wrote:

Hello

I see that in the offers there are clients that ask for Castillian or LATAM Spanish translation.

Usually, if the client asks for Spanish from Spain I don´t apply because I'm from LATAM.

But, in most topics -like Health and Science in my case- there is no difference in the Spanish language, there are formal and specific terminology that don't change. The differences are in the daily language / dialect but not in the more formal or professional language. 

I'd like to suggest to add "Neutral Spanish" to your skills options. Is the universal Spanish that is understood everywhere. So, any Spanish translator can apply to any Spanish translation job. If the client needs a specific country dialect he can ask specifically for it. 

Thanks!

I support your request. With Spanish, I suppose it will happen with other languages, the Spanish that the client will obtain is very different if he is from Spain or Latin America. And not only that, but it is different within Latin America as well.
It has happened to me that they have sent me animation scripts telling me that they were in Spanish, and it was true, but it was not Spanish from Spain, but from Colombia.
Since the client was American, he didn't see the difference. The little he knew of Spanish sounded good to him written that way, but it wasn't what he needed.

It depends on the topic and the style you need to translate.

I work specifically on Science, Health and Environmental topics. In these topics, at a professional level, there is no difference between the Spanish forms because it´s a formal and specific terminology.

The real difference is in the daily style or in the more friendly or informal texts. 

That's why the clients should write clear offers, with samples about what they need.

I worked for different clients worldwide and there was no problem because I translated to Neutral Spanish (I didn't use the argentinian daily language). That's why I ask to include "Neutral Spanish" in the Skills. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths