🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Special Upwork present
Page options
jr-translation
Community Member

Special Upwork present

I totally support the re-verification process, but why do you send out invites on X'mas eve. I am travelling and have only access to an ancient desktop computer without camera or microphon.

**Video call tips:**

* Please ensure that you are on a device with a camera and microphone.
* Please allow Upwork to access your camera and microphone during this call. You may disable this after the chat session.
* This process works best with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox web browsers.

I guess I just have to find a solution for that.

"Please note we have placed a temporary hold on your account until you successfully complete verification. During this hold, you will not be able to submit new proposals or edit your profile picture."

Seriously, my profile is on hold which will result in me losing my top rated status. What about my proposals?

And why is #27403473 marked as closed when I check it?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jennifer, 

Sorry you got the hold on Christmas Eve. I'll follow up with the team and ask them to review your account and update your ticket. Asking all earning freelancers to verify and occasionally re-verify their identity is a step we have to take in order to ensure the marketplace is fraud-free and safe. Unfortunately, that also means that this initiative can't be put on hold even for the holidays.

I would like to confirm a few things though:

- You have 7 days to complete this verification.

- You should be able to use a mobile device with a camera to complete it.

- During these 7 days your Top Rates Status, active contracts and proposals as well as the ability to withdraw funds aren't affected. Only your ability to send new proposals and update your profile picture is limited. 

Hi Valeria,
thank you for your help. My re-verification will happen next year.

I suggest a few changes to the messages to make it more precise.

Can you confirm what Umar wrote? "You cannot log time and work on contracts until you verify that it's you who is using that account." Because if that is true, it should also be mentioned in the email.

Merry Christmas

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer R wrote:

I totally support the re-verification process, but why do you send out invites on X'mas eve.

ON CHRISTMAS EVE?????

Sorry, but that is disgusting.

Jennifer R wrote:

Seriously, my profile is on hold which will result in me losing my top rated status. What about my proposals?

I think that this is not the kind of hold that will count as a suspension and lose you your top rated status. Doesn't it tell you you have 7 days?

But honestly Upwork, on Christmas Eve?

Could Upwork get any more callous?

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

I totally support the re-verification process, but why do you send out invites on X'mas eve.

ON CHRISTMAS EVE?????

Sorry, but that is disgusting.

Jennifer R wrote:

I think that this is not the kind of hold that will count as a suspension and lose you your top rated status. Doesn't it tell you you have 7 days?

But honestly Upwork, on Christmas Eve?

Could Upwork get any more callous?

I did not expect any strange surprise presents by my MIL but Upwork was faster:
"Dec 24, 6:05 AM CET"

"To verify, you will need to join us for a brief video call within the next week."
I guess that means 7 days.

What I want to know is what is the status of my proposals? I am discussing a new project at the moment that can easily reach 10k.

Jennifer R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

What I want to know is what is the status of my proposals?

As long as you verify in the next 7 days, you should be fine as far as the proposals go, but once again the communication is not very clear.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Sorry, Jennifer - I agree that the timing is terrible and they should put the verifications on hold until after the holidays. But for what it's worth, I was also recently made to do the video verification - and got the same message that my account was on hold - and I didn't lose top-rated status.

Apparently Upwork has employees working on Christmas Eve.

grinch.png

Seven days is perfectly reasonable. It's not like they're asking you to send it in tonight. Your profile won't be negatively impacted whatsoever unless the seven days elapse without verification.

Usually yes, but it is holiday season and I am hundreds of miles away from home.

The information I received is that my profile is on hold which usually includes withdrawing of proposals by Upwork with a notification to the clients that the freelancer withdrew, losing top rated status and who knows what else.
petra_r
Community Member

Varun G wrote:

Seven days is perfectly reasonable. It's not like they're asking you to send it in tonight. Your profile won't be negatively impacted whatsoever unless the seven days elapse without verification.

You have no idea how she is impacted (not being able to send proposals *IS* an impact) and how it affects her.

You also do not get to decide what is "perfectly reasonable" on behalf of someone who is 100s of miles from home for the holidays and doesn't have the necessary equipment.

Varun G wrote:

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the U.S. it is not at all unusual for people to take off from the day before Christmas Eve until after New Year's Day. It would be quite reasonable for a freelancer not even to be checking Upwork within 7 days of Christmas Eve (those 7 days including Christmas Day, a weekend, and New Year's Eve)

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jennifer, 

Sorry you got the hold on Christmas Eve. I'll follow up with the team and ask them to review your account and update your ticket. Asking all earning freelancers to verify and occasionally re-verify their identity is a step we have to take in order to ensure the marketplace is fraud-free and safe. Unfortunately, that also means that this initiative can't be put on hold even for the holidays.

- During these 7 days your Top Rates Status, active contracts and proposals as well as the ability to withdraw funds aren't affected. Only your ability to send new proposals and update your profile picture is limited. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jennifer, 

Hi Valeria,
thank you for your help. My re-verification will happen next year.

I suggest a few changes to the messages to make it more precise.

Can you confirm what Umar wrote? "You cannot log time and work on contracts until you verify that it's you who is using that account." Because if that is true, it should also be mentioned in the email.

Merry Christmas

Jennifer R wrote:

I think Umar meant that with a "proper" suspension you "cannot log time and work on contracts" but you should be able to log time at this stage. The "proper" hold would only happen if you fail to proceed within the 7 days.

Hi Jennifer,

We apologize again for the inconvenience and would like to reiterate that the hold doesn't affect a freelancer's ability to work on existing contracts. This includes logging time on active Hourly contracts.

Petra, the ability to work on existing contracts exists even if the freelancer fails to complete the verification process after the 7-day time frame.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
draz_umar
Community Member

I received the same verification notification and i asked the agent if my JSS would be impacted or anything like a proper ACCOUNT HOLD, and she said that is not like a proper ACCOUNT HOLD. You cannot log time and work on contracts until you verify that it's you who is using that account.
Don't worry about that, and make sure you verify it within 7 days. That's perfectly fine.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members