Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specialized Profiles

Highlighted
Community Guru
Heaven H Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
1 of 16

I came across a job post that said "This client is looking for freelancers who specialize in Academic Writing."

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Academic Writing isn't yet an option for specialized profiles. Why are clients able to request something that doesn't exist? I wonder how this will affect clients' search for freelancers.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2 of 16

If a client is looking not for any writer, but one who specializes in academic writing. There are all different types of writers, Technical, Medical, etc. 

A work of caution, if you are actually WRITING a clients homework/academic paper, assignment or report then that violates Upwork's TOS and it can cause your account to be suspended. A persons goes to school to learn, If they are paying someone else to do their assignments, how are they going to learn?

Community Guru
3 of 16

Kathy T wrote:

If a client is looking not for any writer, but one who specializes in academic writing. There are all different types of writers, Technical, Medical, etc. 

I understand that, but I thought this was related to the new specialized profiles feature, which has no option for academic writing yet.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 16

"Academic writing" does not mean "doing somebody's homework."

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 16

Heaven H wrote:

Kathy T wrote:

I understand that, but I thought this was related to the new specialized profiles feature, which has no option for academic writing yet.

Why would you think that? (that it is related to the specialized profile feature?)

It's simply a skill.

academic.jpg

Preston H wrote:

"Academic writing" does not mean "doing somebody's homework."

Actually, on Upwork, the majority of "Academic writing" job posts mean exactly that.

Community Guru
6 of 16

Petra R wrote:

Heaven H wrote:

Kathy T wrote:

Why would you think that? (that it is related to the specialized profile feature?)

It's simply a skill.

See the screenshot. Right underneath where it says the client is looking for some specialized skill, there's a message about creating a specialized profile.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 16

Heaven H wrote:

See the screenshot. Right underneath where it says the client is looking for some specialized skill, there's a message about creating a specialized profile.

Yeah, I had an invite like that a couple of hours later. The "what the client wants" is on my skills list, so they saw me just fine (or could not have invited me) and I assume it's yet another Upwork weirdness.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
8 of 16

Petra R wrote:

Heaven H wrote:

Yeah, I had an invite like that a couple of hours later. The "what the client wants" is on my skills list, so they saw me just fine (or could not have invited me) and I assume it's yet another Upwork weirdness.

Like we really needed more of those? 

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 16

Heaven H wrote:

I came across a job post that said "This client is looking for freelancers who specialize in Academic Writing."

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Academic Writing isn't yet an option for specialized profiles. Why are clients able to request something that doesn't exist? I wonder how this will affect clients' search for freelancers.

A friend told me they looked at a job posting that required copywriting skills and UW suggested they create a specialized copywriter's profile. Which is not possible! So yes, this is a perfectly legitimate concern. And I would like to know the answer as well.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
10 of 16

I asked precisely this question a few days ago. However, my post was swiftly moved to https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Expanding-Specialized-Profiles-for-Freelancers/td-p/53...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS