🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Spotting Scams
Page options
ashbliss
Community Member

Spotting Scams

I'm still very new to this site. My first interaction on here ended up in me reporting them after going through a Skype interview (they had the upgraded account to allow them to do so) which led to them asking for my address to send a check to buy special equipment for the job.

I received a new interview request today where the sender sent me a OneDrive link with information to set up a skype interview, similar to how the first person sent their request. This user does not have an upgraded account. I'm happy to report people not playing by the rules, but also don't want to overlook what real opportunity on here looks like because I'm new and I don't know what's normal or not. 

Is it safe to assume that any of these requests that come through the form of a OneDrive link/PDF file are scams? I'm excited to work but certainly want to avoid scams and don't want to break guidelines. If those requests come across, what's the best way to probe at whether it's a legit offer vs scam?

14 REPLIES 14
colettelewis
Community Member

Ashley

Getting interview requests from scammers seem to be the rite of passage for newcomers, and scammers seem to be particularly busy at the moment. Your second invitation is bound to be a scam too. I would report it and move on. It is rare to be invited to a genuine job when one is completely new.

Upwork has recently brought in a new reg. that no communication is allowed outside the site until a contract is in place. So you can tell them that once they have initiated a formal contract on Upwork, that you have agreed to, then you can Skype them. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for flagging this for us. I was able to locate the job you're referring to and I'll be sure to escalate it to the correct team for their review and appropriate action will be taken according to our internal processes. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ashley B wrote:

I'm still very new to this site. My first interaction on here ended up in me reporting them after going through a Skype interview (they had the upgraded account to allow them to do so) which led to them asking for my address to send a check to buy special equipment for the job.

I received a new interview request today where the sender sent me a OneDrive link with information to set up a skype interview, similar to how the first person sent their request. This user does not have an upgraded account. I'm happy to report people not playing by the rules, but also don't want to overlook what real opportunity on here looks like because I'm new and I don't know what's normal or not. 

Is it safe to assume that any of these requests that come through the form of a OneDrive link/PDF file are scams? I'm excited to work but certainly want to avoid scams and don't want to break guidelines. If those requests come across, what's the best way to probe at whether it's a legit offer vs scam?

Ashley B wrote:

Most of them will be scams. Look out for ToS violations (interview on skype, etc.), weird words like hiring manager, long questionnaires (not common with serious clients), offering to send a job contract (not needed on upwork), offer of longterm employment (this is not an employment agency), and finally, of course, sending a check to buy you office equipment (nobody buys a stranger new office equipment that you should have to do your job in the first place). 

They will work you for a time trying to build confidence (hence conman) until you are ready to do the check thing. 

I had the same situation happen to me today. Wasted a whole day of back and forth. I was skeptical from the beginning. See attached files for examples. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Kaelan,

If you see a job or a profile that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you  Joanne

674319ab
Community Member

Same here...I'm new as well but so far every job ive applied for I get the same type of response back. Either text this one through telegram or they send a pdf file (one appeared to be from Nestlé, or so they made it seem) with instructions and work codes...this has happened like 4 times already and I'm starting to doubt upwork.com itself for having so many of these scam jobs listed on their site? Very frustrating when you initially think there is an opportunity and so far they have all scams!?!?

debi-f
Community Member

Hello!

I work here for 12 years. In the last months there are a lot of scammers and Upwork is not doing much to avoid them.

Before applying check the client's Profile (not only the job offer), don't apply if the job is repeated many times, if the payment is unverified, if they ask for 99 freelancers, don't respond to telegram or other directly data, don't give personal data... Upwork is not doing much to take care and protect us. So, flag the scammers (it doesn't always help) and don't apply! Be sure that the client is verified, has payment verified, that he posted other jobs, or that he hired other people, read client's feedbacks.... Unfortunately, Upwork is not working fine in the last months / year. 

So let's help each other 👍

paywell
Community Member

Adding to what has been already written here, I will say, that some established non-Enterprise clients, with up to 100k spent on Upwork, allow themselves to post e-mail addresses "to send your CV" in their job posts; or make you book a meeting with Calendly, which requires you to input an e-mail address, before a contract has started.

Therefore, Ashley’s fear of losing an opportunity was valid in 2020 as it is in 2022. And straight up denying an interview, based on the client breaking the rules, may not be the best idea.

To save your chances of getting a job, you should tell the client, softly, that the meeting can be booked inside the Upwork chat, by pressing “schedule a meeting”, and indicate, that there is Zoom functionality implemented into the Upwork chat’s “call” button.

If he/she persists – tell him/her, that you’re worried that your account may be suspended, if you break Upwork’s Terms and Conditions. And if he still doesn’t budge, go and report him, for that means he is not interested in hiring you on Upwork, or even hiring anybody (and you’re dealing with a scammer).

674319ab
Community Member

I just wish upwork could vet these job listings before they become live/active as it is wasting precious time from the user/job seekers end..It's becoming increasingly frustrating and I'm thinking about just signing up to flex jobs to find more "real" opportunities.. 

7e0819ff
Community Member

Good thing you did report them 

14080b36
Community Member

Hi! I have been here for two months and my first interview was a scam as well. I had to contact them via Telegram. I must say I had a total of 9 jobs which were all perfect. However, I'm gettin' to be a pro at seeing the scam posts. However, I'd like to be a pro to seek for the best jobs. The other thing I notice is that when I get an interview, or I reply to the messages. The other side simply isn't answering (I know), they must have lost interest after reading my reply (?).  Any tips for that? Luckily I found 9 jobs which I am grateful for, but just wondering if someone else has the same issue?

Thanks! 

paywell
Community Member

As far as I know chat has been split up into "threads", with one for every contract. 

This means, that some clients may have ten threads for one freelancer.

I have also heard, that proposals are hard to sort, the UI is quite complicated.

Therefore, maybe, the client has technical difficulties. 

I too have had some cases of receiving answers but no further communication after that.

Maybe we should try and kindly remind the client about ourselves and see if it works?

michaeloneillorg
Community Member

I'm glad you posted. I'm glad you reported it. But nothing has changed here in years. The noise to signal ratio here is abysmal.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members