cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Staging server for implementing updates?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anil N Member Since: Aug 21, 2013
1 of 8

Hi,,

Would I be wrong in wondering why all major changes to the Upwork web site are not first implemented and tested on a staging server?  No professional web site is expected to malfunction for such a prolonged period of time.

Besides the great inconvenience being cause to us your customers (clients and contractor), your reputation is taking big a hit. Is this a part of some new kind of business plan that we know nothing about?

The content of this forum is in the public domain for the world to see. Your are committing corporate hara-kiri. How things go wrong to good companies, is what the world can see via the content on this forum. This content will make a perfect list of things corporations should not d,o for a fresher at business school.

It would not be a bad idea at all,iif the CEO Upwork jumped into the forum to interact with us directly. Would that not be called leading from the front? PayPall is such a great online success story of or time, could you image the chaos,  if an Upwork happening to PayPal?

Please note, I am user in constructive mode always. I believe a service provider and its customers should operate as partners to move forwar togetehrd, but nothing is makinfg any sense here.

I have just edited the post to add this.. It took barely then minutes for Google to show this post in its search results...

Regards,

Anil Nath

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

How did you come to the conclusion that they don't have a staging environment?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 8

By the number of frequently appearing errors on the web site. And if the do, they are not doing something right to let so many errors through.

Regards,

Anil

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

Not sure that's an accurate conclusion. Bugs get through staging too.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 8

What we happening on the web site is not a result of "bugs", these are errors. If staining is set up correctly, few errors should get past, or the very purpose of a staging server is beaten.

Any ideas or are you comfortable with all these errors on the web site?

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 8

Never said I was comfortable with them. I'm just curious how you come to the conclusion that they have no staging environment because of them.

Maybe the devs felt pressured to release something that wasn't properly tested

Maybe QA missed something

Maybe a dev with prod access decided to fix something

Maybe infrastructure was changed

Maybe something worked in staging but overloaded things in a prod environment

Maybe something wasn't promoted properly

Maybe they missed something during promotion

Or maybe just the dump of Elancers on the system overloaded things. Maybe the merge is causing it.

We have no idea. I just think it's a bit far fetched that they have no staging environment.

Too many factors and possibilities to guess.

Ace Contributor
7 of 8

That's not the way its supposed to be, Have you seen this happen to an organization of the stature of Upwork? I haven't. And I have been around for a while.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 8

Is Upwork hosted on Linux or Windows? Could be bugs and errors on the OS. Right? That did not occour to me...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS