cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started Fixed Price job without Escrow now wondering...

Alison P Member Since: Mar 15, 2016
1 of 13

Hi Freelancees,

I started my first fixed price writing job eight days ago and I now realise I should have got the escrow set up beforehand.

• How do I get the client to put in milestones? Do I just message them with what I want?
  • Can I just do one milestone with the full amount at the end? But then at least the funds are in escrow.
  • I am using the time tracker but I wonder if I should even bother because it is a fixed price job, and I wonder if the client can see all the time I have put in already?

Any thoughts you can share would be helpful.

Thanks

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 13

I would message the client and say something like, "I noticed that you haven't funded the first milestone for this project yet. I'm nearing completion of (whatever stage it is that you're at or near). Please let me know when you have the first milestone set up and funded so that I can submit the work and keep your project moving forward."

3 of 13

Good idea. I'll get right on that.

Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
4 of 13

Hello Alison.

Never start working unless a client has funded the milestone. Otherwise you can work and then a client can cancel a job so you will not be paid for your work. And don't send your work under no circumstances untill you have a guaranty. This is a way upwork recommends. You are not protected by upwork now. Just message your client and ask for funding the milestone. 

5 of 13

Thank you for your reply and yes, I think I understand that bit now.

And (you'll laugh out loud I just know you will) but, I've just seen the page where is says "1 Milestone (funded)" which I swear I did not see before. I can only say that as a newbie here at Upwork there is still a lot for me to learn.

I appreciate your comments and support.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 13

Allison, another thing a lot of new freelancers don't know (although they ought to read Upwork's ToS Smiley Wink)is that you are not allowed to put personal contact information on your profile or in your portfolio, which includes links to websites. So you should remove yours.

However, you can give this information in your proposal letter.

I have on occasion, forgotten to check if a milestone has been funded, and none of my clients (fortunately) have refused to fund it when I have asked. In spite of the horror stories, I think most clients, are fairly nice humans!

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 13
In your profile it shows 1 hourly job in progress. You don't need a milestone funded for hourly work. Is the job you are discussing hourly or fixed price??
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 13

I've just seen that the OP says the milestone has been funded - so fixed rate. I have never used the tracker, but I believe you can use it to count your hours even though this will not show on one's profile - is that right?

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
9 of 13

@Nichola L wrote:

I've just seen that the OP says the milestone has been funded - so fixed rate. I have never used the tracker, but I believe you can use it to count your hours even though this will not show on one's profile - is that right?

Correct. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 13

Yes, that is correct Nichola.

I can also confirm Jean that the OP has a Fixed-Price job, which is not shown in her Work History because no payment was made yet on that contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS