cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stealing Ideas

Dennis Z Member Since: Jul 4, 2018
1 of 7

How do i protect my idea? Should i write a document for the upwork freelancer to sign to ensure the safekeeping of my application/idea? I would like to prevent the person i decide to hire from stealing the  idea i present to him/her.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

@Dennis Z wrote:

How do i protect my idea? Should i write a document for the upwork freelancer to sign to ensure the safekeeping of my application/idea? I would like to prevent the person i decide to hire from stealing the  idea i present to him/her.

You can not "protect" an idea. Not on Upwork and not anywhere else.

However, freelancers have no interest in stealing your idea, they've heard it all before. They just want to get the job done and get paid.

Linda L Member Since: Mar 15, 2019
3 of 7

How can you be sure of that?

Linda Lee, Esq.
Community Guru
Aron H Member Since: Mar 29, 2017
4 of 7

you can't.

hiring freelancers from different countrys on a platform that isn't even checking if those said freelancers are doing their job on a legal basis is probably the worst idea and most insecure thing you can do if you are worried about protecting your idea.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 7

@Dennis Z wrote:

I may be wrong, but as long as I'm on here, I haven't heard of any freelancers stealing a clients idea. I've heard of freelancers taking a clients money, I've heard of freelancers not producing work. I heard of freelancers not having the skills to work on jobs, but I haven't heard of freelancers taking a clients idea.

If you are extremely afraid or concerned about a freelancer taking your idea you can ask them to sign a non disclosure agreement. To go a few steps further, you can ask an attorney to draw up a document that would protect your idea. And you can hire someone "locally" in your area or country which would give you more protection to pursue or prosecute if you happen to be the first person that this would happen to.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

Freelancers don't want your idea. They want the money you pay them to implement your idea.

If you want to protect your idea from anyone stealing it... Well, you really can't. But the implementation of that idea is what has value.

One of the main ways you protect that is you make sure that YOU own the domain name. With your own registrar account. And only YOU have the password for the account.

That right there is about 95% of what you need to know about protecting your idea.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

Trademarks can be protected by law.

Inventions can be legally protected by patents.

Creative works that can by protected by copyright can be protected legally.

But in a legal sense, an "idea" is not something you can own and prevent other people from using. For example, self-driving cars is an idea. But Uber can't own that idea and prevent Wamo or Google from using the same idea.

The value is in the implementation.

You CAN create NDAs that stipulate anything you want, but whether or not an NDA is enforceable is a separate question.

Fortunately, clients don't really need to worry about freelancers taking ideas. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS