🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Stepping out of started project
Page options
kfboelter
Community Member

Stepping out of started project

So... after some good conversation, defining the terms, etc etc, I accept the client's offer. The minute (LITERALLY) the offer is accepted, new demands come up and conversation tone changes.

Is there a way I can just step out of this right away, and not compromising my success rate or getting a bad review? Just want to get out of something that seems like trouble and turned weird at the very second the contract started.

4 REPLIES 4
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Klein B wrote:

So... after some good conversation, defining the terms, etc etc, I accept the client's offer. The minute (LITERALLY) the offer is accepted, new demands come up and conversation tone changes.

Is there a way I can just step out of this right away, and not compromising my success rate or getting a bad review? Just want to get out of something that seems like trouble and turned weird at the very second the contract started.

Contracts where nothing is paid do impact your JSS, plus I don't think that you should necessarily cut and run at the first sign of trouble. Politely tell the client that your price only covers the work that was already discussed, and that anything outside the scope can be set up as a separate milestone. 

Oh yes, I am not pulling the plug on that... just figured it was an interesting topic...

I think it would make sense to have a time window of tolerance, considering nothing was paid.

florydev
Community Member

Klein B wrote:

No.  If you are headed down that path you might as well do some work and get paid.

Congratulations, you have found a client you don't want to work with again.  I think this will be good experience for you on how to navigate this to a successful conclusion without losing your mind and if you can salvage a good review then more's the better.

What would also be super valuable for you is if you think back on the runup and determine if there is anything you could have done to discover this sooner.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Stand your ground on any additional work the client demands without increasing your pay.

And leave honest feedback to warn off other freelancers once the project is closed..

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths