cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still 20% fee even after $500 with one client

Lan Lan L Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
1 of 9

Hi,

I have been working with one client with several milestones of $200 each. I have just finished the 3rd milestone and my accumulated earning for this client is now $600 ($200 x 3). Per Upwork rules, the service fee should become 10% after $500 has been earned from one client.

From the Freelancer Service Fees Page:

Example: On a $600 project with a new client, a freelancer’s service fee would be 20% on the first $500 and 10% on the remaining $100 for earnings after fees of $490.

However, for my third milestone payment, I am still charged 20% fee even though it has exceeded $500 by $100. Can someone look into this and let me know why this is so and correct it if there is some kind of an error? Thank you for your help!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 9

Hi Lan Lan, 

I checked this contract and the freelancer service fees for this contract is at 8.75% right from the very start. I'll reconfirm with the team why this is the case, but I hope this service fee does not pose any issue on your end. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

There is one contract which is with an Enterprise client, where the fee should have been 10% from the very start (contracts with Enterprise clients are always 10 %, no 20% or 5% tiers)

4 of 9

Thank you, Petra. That answers my question. I now wonder why it's 8.75% instead of 10%..... ?

5 of 9

Oh you are right! I never calculated, just assumed it to be 20% like all other projects. I see now that Enterprise clients have 10% fees. I wonder why it's 8.75% instead of 10% though. Thank you for your help, Avery!

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
6 of 9

It can't be a coincidence that that figure is the fee Elance used to charge.

Must be some sort of regression bug.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 9

Elance contractors whose clients migrated to Upwork via a certain procedure (the “bridge”) were told that our commission would remain at 8.75% for all future work with those clients.

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
8 of 9

I figured such a thing might exist, but Lan Lan's profile sounds like she is a new contractor. Maybe she's not and her Elance history doesn't show, I dunno.

9 of 9

Hi Charles and Douglas, thank you for the insight. Yes, I'm fairly new here and do not have a connected Elance account. But I guess things are probably related since that's the exact same figure you mentioned. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS