dsparnell1960

Still not getting any jobs,

Still not getting any jobs, every proposal comes back declined.  Would someone look at my profile?

25 REPLIES 25
mtngigi

I believe your field is way over-saturated. But I also would not establish myself as someone who will take a $2 project. Aim higher.

I only took that job to get my first job.  

I have Secretarial experience for over 30 years. I  worked at a Chemical Manufacturing Company doing light accounting but that was over 20 years ago.  My most recent experience was working in the Medical Records Department of a Hospital, and before that I worked doing Data Entry and Payroll Processing for a Staffing Agency.   What other field would anyone suggest?

@Virginia F wrote:

I believe your field is way over-saturated. But I also would not establish myself as someone who will take a $2 project. Aim higher.

The OP adjusted her hourly pay rate during her first round of questions and answers in the forums last week. She COULD go higher, but I don't like to say new members "MUST" do that.

I had a crappy hourly rate when I started. This was before JSS, Top Rated, and so many other new shiny aspects of Upwork as it is today. Once I started getting regular work, I updated my hourly rates every few months. But if somebody wants to start out at $40 an hour, whose to say that won't work.

pandoraharper

@Deborah P wrote:

Still not getting any jobs, every proposal comes back declined.  Would someone look at my profile?

Looks like you added some portfolio items, which was a great choice.  After reviewing your NEW Profile Overview (I responded to at least 1 of your previous posts), I can say it's better then before

I do have a couple of notes though:

Your medical data entry experience - I would think this would be great specific focus as you start out in Upworkwork. If you think that's something you want to do, flesh out your Overview section with a line or 2 about that specifically.

Consider adding a list of services (clearly marked as My Services, for example) in bullet form.

Short Example:

Data Entry - Medical records, Payroll, etc

Payroll - Whatever that entails, outside of data entry

That is the sort of detail that I have on my profile, and it's been serving me very well for the last 2 years. Clients like knowing what you will do for them straight up. Feel free to browse my profile if you want to see what I am talking about in further detail.

pandoraharper

Also, it takes time to get established on Upwork. Getting those first few jobs is the hardest part. Your ahead already with your profile improvements.

I made a few changes.

I am finding the same thing. I have a good resume and solid experience but can't even land an audio book gig.

@Josh V wrote:

I am finding the same thing. I have a good resume and solid experience but can't even land an audio book gig.

Josh, I took a look at you profile and am not sure what service your offering.

Your title says "Audio Post Production Professional"

Now I am not sure what that all that actually entails, but the issue I found is that you don't actually appear to discuss the details related to that anywhere in your Profile Overview (thats the top section under your name and hourly rate)

So if I was a client actually and saw your title, I'd expect you to expound on that some in your overview.

Also, is there are particular software app that is you go-to app for audio production? If so, you might want a line about that in your Overview. If clients are looking for an expert for that particular piece of software, you want to show up in results.

I guess I left too much description to my cover letter within my proposal.

Thanks!

@Josh V wrote:

I guess I left too much description to my cover letter within my proposal.

Thanks!

LOL.

I look at it this way...there are specific details I want all my prospective clients to know - That data is on my Profile.

Details I share with pending clients I am hoping to work with are different, becaus I tailor my solutions to THEIR job. That data goes into my Proposals and Quotes.

Having said this, knowing when "enough is enough" can be a little tricky. I feel like my Overview is too big, but get a lot of compliments from clients, so I've left it alone.

@Pandora H wrote:

LOL.

I look at it this way...there are specific details I want all my prospective clients to know - That data is on my Profile.

Do you find that most prospects visit your profile? As best I have been able to assess, about 50% of my contracts have been offered without the client ever visiting my profile.

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

LOL.

Do you find that most prospects visit your profile? As best I have been able to assess, about 50% of my contracts have been offered without the client ever visiting my profile.

I would guess that about 75% see my profile. Feedback from clients (both hired and prospective) indicates that my lame "sales" copy is working.

One of these days I am going to hire someone on Upwork to create some REAL sales copy for me.

What's funny is this morning I got an "Invitation to Interview-I knew it was Scam, because things in the title were misspelled.  I went to GMail as it instructed, and sent an email to the "Hiring Manager" to tell him that I was declining the interview if they didn't contract, hire and pay through Upwork.  He actually got irate with me, telling me that Upwork wasn't hiring-his company was.   I ignored his message after that.  He actually sent me a snarky  email, asking "well, are you going to interview or not"

Yes, I did turn it in.

@Deborah P wrote:

What's funny is this morning I got an "Invitation to Interview-I knew it was Scam, because things in the title were misspelled.  I went to GMail as it instructed, and sent an email to the "Hiring Manager" to tell him that I was declining the interview if they didn't contract, hire and pay through Upwork.  He actually got irate with me, telling me that Upwork wasn't hiring-his company was.   I ignored his message after that.  He actually sent me a snarky  email, asking "well, are you going to interview or not"

Yes, I did turn it in.

If the invitation came through Upwork, you should decline it here rather than via email. The reason I say this is so you keep your invitation response rate high. Also, there is an option to flag the invitation as spam or to block the "client" from inviting you to more of the same. You did right by turning them in. If you haven't, you should also decline on Upwork for the sake of your responsiveness score. 

@Deborah P wrote:

Yes, I did turn it in.

That's not funny. It's cringeworthy. You KNEW it was a SCAM and STILL used your own personal email to contact them? Did I read this correctly?

"I went to GMail as it instructed". Don't EVER do that. Just don't.

Two items related to guidence concerning jobs:

1. Links to contact email in a job post are not allowed. If you see them, FLAG the job. DO NOT EMAIL THEM.

2. Until you are much more savvy about Upwork, ONLY use the Upwork Message Center. No exceptions. Even if you get hired by the client.

And, since it's clear you haven't already done this:

1. Lena, the head of the Forum Moderator team, wrote this awesome "job warnings post". This is a must read for you:

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

2. You need to take time out of your busy day and learn how to use Upwork. Go also to this link:

Awesome Video Course for New UPWORK Freelancers

Direct Link To Course Page

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/education/getting-started-for-freelancers/

The Videos Cover These Important Topics
Module 1: Best Practices for a Strong Profile
Module 2: Finding Projects & Clients
Module 3: Submitting Proposals
Module 4: Managing Communications
Module 5: Getting Paid
Module 6: Your Reputation on Upwork

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Deborah, Please abstain from fake product reviews (copy & paste product reviews) to build your reputation on Upwork. They are not legit and unethical. I wonder why nobody deleted this job offer. 

okay, so since I am doing everything wrong, maybe I should just close my account and be done with it.

The freelance world is a dangerous place with lots of scams. Contacting someone directly gives them access to information about you that they didn't have through Upwork. Sometimes they are only asking for contact so that they can get this information and sell it to others.

There are too many scams to explain to each new person, so we refer you to the posts at the top of the page. 

As for unethical jobs, some people feel very strongly about it. Fake reviews are usually against the terms of the review sites where they are posted. Surveys of information and summaries of feedback placed on an independent site are not unethical. (Though some disagree.) However, it is often unclear what you are being asked to write when the client uses the word "review." It will be up to you to navigate that.

But, based on your last response. You aren't ready for the business side of the freelance world. Study the stickied-posts and you'll understand what we are talking about. Being able to do the work is just a small aspect of surviving the job.Man Indifferent 

@Deborah P wrote:

okay, so since I am doing everything wrong, maybe I should just close my account and be done with it.

Not so fast!! (Sorry...college football reference.)

As Pandora pointed out, Upwork IS a HUGE learning curve. It's a beast all its own. I'm still learning as well!

Yesterday, I agreed to a 24-hour turnaround for a client. He's a new client for me (I've already finished an initial project with him, so I thought, what the heck, let's extend this relationship...I'm working on repeat clientele more than new clients...and that's due to what I have gone on about in another post). I've been super busy completing a massive technical document that's 150+ pages. So, I was distracted.

Guy only escrows PART of the funds (he held on to $50...haha!). It wasn't an easy job (again, highly technical, and time-consuming, though not as intellectually draining as the aforementioned 150-page manual). I initially agreed to it in good faith effort--before the ESCROW switcheroo (after all, why should I have to TELL the client to escrow the ENTIRE amount...there's a tangle of other stuff there, so we'll leave it at that). 

For me, a 24-hour turnaround means, you escrow ALL OF THE FUNDS. So, I gritted my teeth, turned in the work and sent the client a message that at any time in the future he asks for a quick turnaround, he'll need to escrow the entire amount (I always provide one post submission edit...it's only ONE though haha).

So, the moral of the story is...hang in there. It can take time to find your groove in your industry on Upwork. Make sure you set boundaries, though. (Yeah, I'm projecting, I'll fully admit it; I should have set one yesterday.) And, you'll make mistakes along the way (though read the TOS!!).

Also, examine the expectations? Way too many people hop on Upwork thinking it's a quick way to make cash. Well, you have MILLIONS of people thinking that way, and they're converging onto the platform. Not so quick when you've got lowball clients, scams, and the ever present low ball freelancers. These are observations, not criticisms since it's my responsibility to find a way to freelance on this platform successfully.

Don't give up quite yet. But, I know that's entirely up to you.

After doing a lot of research and realizing that Data Entry probably wasn't my best bet, I re-worked my Profile.  Would someone take a look and let me know what you think?

Hmmm, your profile comes across salesman-like. Your in a field where writing thoughtful, professional sentences will help demonstrate your level of professionalism. Exclamation marks, for example, don't show that.

A sentence or two explaining how you helped previous employers be successful would go a long way. Think about a project, initiative, of situation in your past experience where you "saved the day", helped increase sales, streamlined a process, saved money for the business, caught a critical mistake, etc. Demonstrate your skills and value.

Also, a word about your rate: your rate should reflect your value overall, not the time you've spent on UpWork. Who cares if you've only been on UpWork for a few days/weeks, you've been in your career field for over THIRTY YEARS. Would you take a job down the street for your posted rate? I hope not, you're probably worth a lot more than that. Furthermore, your rate on UpWork should be higher than what you would accept in the physical world for two important reasons: 1) UpWork takes 20% right off the top and 2) As a freelancer, you're responsible for 100% of your employement taxes, social security, health care expenses, retirement savings, computer hardware/software expenses, other overhead, and local business taxes. Take those costs into account when deciding your hourly rate, otherwise you're net take-home could be less than minimum wage.

Hi Deborah,

I see you have a ticket where you reported this client but could you please add a screenshot of your conversation with them where they request you to accept payments outside of Upwork. Since this communication happened off of the platform we don't have access to this evidence. We would appreciate is you shared it so we could take appropriate actions.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
pandoraharper

@Deborah P wrote:

Deborah, I get that asking you to read up on Upwork might make you feeling like it's taking a step back, but Upwork has a bit of a learning curve, even for those who come from a corporate setting.

Belive me, it's in YOUR best interests to know how Upwork works (so that when weird things happen, scams come your way, etc) you know exactly what to do, and hopefully, even how to prevent those things from coming your way.

I've been on Upwork for 5+ years and STILL learn new things. So hang in there, and do read up on Upwork. It will save you from a lot of heartache and stress 🙂

I reworked mine... I'd hire me... I can add more to my portfolio. Does a testimonial help?

@Josh V wrote:

I reworked mine... I'd hire me... I can add more to my portfolio. Does a testimonial help?

@ @Josh,

I'd suggest some spacing (it's a little "wall of text-ish", but great updates. Testimonals do help. Usually those go towards the end of your Overview.

You updated protfolio had me at "Gangland", which I've read about. I've seen members with 3 pages of Portofolio items, which seems sorta overkill. The amount you have now is probably sufficient.

I sorta recall getting "blocks of text" into small sections is tricky. Be careful of MS Word code messing with your copy. I recommend copy/pasting your final copy from a text file. You might still have to fight for line breaks.