Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still not getting any jobs,

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
Deborah P Member Since: Sep 19, 2016
1 of 26

Still not getting any jobs, every proposal comes back declined.  Would someone look at my profile?

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 26

I believe your field is way over-saturated. But I also would not establish myself as someone who will take a $2 project. Aim higher.

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
3 of 26

I only took that job to get my first job.  

I have Secretarial experience for over 30 years. I  worked at a Chemical Manufacturing Company doing light accounting but that was over 20 years ago.  My most recent experience was working in the Medical Records Department of a Hospital, and before that I worked doing Data Entry and Payroll Processing for a Staffing Agency.   What other field would anyone suggest?

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 26

@Virginia F wrote:

I believe your field is way over-saturated. But I also would not establish myself as someone who will take a $2 project. Aim higher.

The OP adjusted her hourly pay rate during her first round of questions and answers in the forums last week. She COULD go higher, but I don't like to say new members "MUST" do that.

I had a crappy hourly rate when I started. This was before JSS, Top Rated, and so many other new shiny aspects of Upwork as it is today. Once I started getting regular work, I updated my hourly rates every few months. But if somebody wants to start out at $40 an hour, whose to say that won't work.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
5 of 26

@Deborah P wrote:

Still not getting any jobs, every proposal comes back declined.  Would someone look at my profile?

Looks like you added some portfolio items, which was a great choice.  After reviewing your NEW Profile Overview (I responded to at least 1 of your previous posts), I can say it's better then before

I do have a couple of notes though:

Your medical data entry experience - I would think this would be great specific focus as you start out in Upworkwork. If you think that's something you want to do, flesh out your Overview section with a line or 2 about that specifically.

Consider adding a list of services (clearly marked as My Services, for example) in bullet form.

Short Example:

Data Entry - Medical records, Payroll, etc

Payroll - Whatever that entails, outside of data entry

That is the sort of detail that I have on my profile, and it's been serving me very well for the last 2 years. Clients like knowing what you will do for them straight up. Feel free to browse my profile if you want to see what I am talking about in further detail.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
6 of 26

Also, it takes time to get established on Upwork. Getting those first few jobs is the hardest part. Your ahead already with your profile improvements.

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
7 of 26

I made a few changes.

joshvamos
Josh V Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
8 of 26

I am finding the same thing. I have a good resume and solid experience but can't even land an audio book gig.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
9 of 26

@Josh V wrote:

I am finding the same thing. I have a good resume and solid experience but can't even land an audio book gig.

Josh, I took a look at you profile and am not sure what service your offering.

Your title says "Audio Post Production Professional"

Now I am not sure what that all that actually entails, but the issue I found is that you don't actually appear to discuss the details related to that anywhere in your Profile Overview (thats the top section under your name and hourly rate)

So if I was a client actually and saw your title, I'd expect you to expound on that some in your overview.

Also, is there are particular software app that is you go-to app for audio production? If so, you might want a line about that in your Overview. If clients are looking for an expert for that particular piece of software, you want to show up in results.

joshvamos
Josh V Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
10 of 26

I guess I left too much description to my cover letter within my proposal.

Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS