Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still not getting any jobs,

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
11 of 26

@Josh V wrote:

I guess I left too much description to my cover letter within my proposal.

Thanks!

LOL.

I look at it this way...there are specific details I want all my prospective clients to know - That data is on my Profile.

Details I share with pending clients I am hoping to work with are different, becaus I tailor my solutions to THEIR job. That data goes into my Proposals and Quotes.

Having said this, knowing when "enough is enough" can be a little tricky. I feel like my Overview is too big, but get a lot of compliments from clients, so I've left it alone.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 26

@Pandora H wrote:

LOL.

I look at it this way...there are specific details I want all my prospective clients to know - That data is on my Profile.

Do you find that most prospects visit your profile? As best I have been able to assess, about 50% of my contracts have been offered without the client ever visiting my profile.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
13 of 26

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

LOL.

Do you find that most prospects visit your profile? As best I have been able to assess, about 50% of my contracts have been offered without the client ever visiting my profile.

I would guess that about 75% see my profile. Feedback from clients (both hired and prospective) indicates that my lame "sales" copy is working.

One of these days I am going to hire someone on Upwork to create some REAL sales copy for me.

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
Deborah P Member Since: Sep 19, 2016
14 of 26

What's funny is this morning I got an "Invitation to Interview-I knew it was Scam, because things in the title were misspelled.  I went to GMail as it instructed, and sent an email to the "Hiring Manager" to tell him that I was declining the interview if they didn't contract, hire and pay through Upwork.  He actually got irate with me, telling me that Upwork wasn't hiring-his company was.   I ignored his message after that.  He actually sent me a snarky  email, asking "well, are you going to interview or not"

Yes, I did turn it in.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
15 of 26

@Deborah P wrote:

What's funny is this morning I got an "Invitation to Interview-I knew it was Scam, because things in the title were misspelled.  I went to GMail as it instructed, and sent an email to the "Hiring Manager" to tell him that I was declining the interview if they didn't contract, hire and pay through Upwork.  He actually got irate with me, telling me that Upwork wasn't hiring-his company was.   I ignored his message after that.  He actually sent me a snarky  email, asking "well, are you going to interview or not"

Yes, I did turn it in.

If the invitation came through Upwork, you should decline it here rather than via email. The reason I say this is so you keep your invitation response rate high. Also, there is an option to flag the invitation as spam or to block the "client" from inviting you to more of the same. You did right by turning them in. If you haven't, you should also decline on Upwork for the sake of your responsiveness score. 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
16 of 26

@Deborah P wrote:

Yes, I did turn it in.

That's not funny. It's cringeworthy. You KNEW it was a SCAM and STILL used your own personal email to contact them? Did I read this correctly?

"I went to GMail as it instructed". Don't EVER do that. Just don't.

Two items related to guidence concerning jobs:

1. Links to contact email in a job post are not allowed. If you see them, FLAG the job. DO NOT EMAIL THEM.

2. Until you are much more savvy about Upwork, ONLY use the Upwork Message Center. No exceptions. Even if you get hired by the client.

And, since it's clear you haven't already done this:

1. Lena, the head of the Forum Moderator team, wrote this awesome "job warnings post". This is a must read for you:

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

2. You need to take time out of your busy day and learn how to use Upwork. Go also to this link:

Awesome Video Course for New UPWORK Freelancers

Direct Link To Course Page

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/education/getting-started-for-freelancers/

The Videos Cover These Important Topics
Module 1: Best Practices for a Strong Profile
Module 2: Finding Projects & Clients
Module 3: Submitting Proposals
Module 4: Managing Communications
Module 5: Getting Paid
Module 6: Your Reputation on Upwork

This widget could not be displayed.
17 of 26
This widget could not be displayed.

Deborah, Please abstain from fake product reviews (copy & paste product reviews) to build your reputation on Upwork. They are not legit and unethical. I wonder why nobody deleted this job offer. 

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
Deborah P Member Since: Sep 19, 2016
18 of 26

okay, so since I am doing everything wrong, maybe I should just close my account and be done with it.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
19 of 26

The freelance world is a dangerous place with lots of scams. Contacting someone directly gives them access to information about you that they didn't have through Upwork. Sometimes they are only asking for contact so that they can get this information and sell it to others.

There are too many scams to explain to each new person, so we refer you to the posts at the top of the page. 

As for unethical jobs, some people feel very strongly about it. Fake reviews are usually against the terms of the review sites where they are posted. Surveys of information and summaries of feedback placed on an independent site are not unethical. (Though some disagree.) However, it is often unclear what you are being asked to write when the client uses the word "review." It will be up to you to navigate that.

But, based on your last response. You aren't ready for the business side of the freelance world. Study the stickied-posts and you'll understand what we are talking about. Being able to do the work is just a small aspect of surviving the job.Man Indifferent 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
20 of 26

@Deborah P wrote:

okay, so since I am doing everything wrong, maybe I should just close my account and be done with it.

Not so fast!! (Sorry...college football reference.)

As Pandora pointed out, Upwork IS a HUGE learning curve. It's a beast all its own. I'm still learning as well!

Yesterday, I agreed to a 24-hour turnaround for a client. He's a new client for me (I've already finished an initial project with him, so I thought, what the heck, let's extend this relationship...I'm working on repeat clientele more than new clients...and that's due to what I have gone on about in another post). I've been super busy completing a massive technical document that's 150+ pages. So, I was distracted.

Guy only escrows PART of the funds (he held on to $50...haha!). It wasn't an easy job (again, highly technical, and time-consuming, though not as intellectually draining as the aforementioned 150-page manual). I initially agreed to it in good faith effort--before the ESCROW switcheroo (after all, why should I have to TELL the client to escrow the ENTIRE amount...there's a tangle of other stuff there, so we'll leave it at that). 

For me, a 24-hour turnaround means, you escrow ALL OF THE FUNDS. So, I gritted my teeth, turned in the work and sent the client a message that at any time in the future he asks for a quick turnaround, he'll need to escrow the entire amount (I always provide one post submission edit...it's only ONE though haha).

So, the moral of the story is...hang in there. It can take time to find your groove in your industry on Upwork. Make sure you set boundaries, though. (Yeah, I'm projecting, I'll fully admit it; I should have set one yesterday.) And, you'll make mistakes along the way (though read the TOS!!).

Also, examine the expectations? Way too many people hop on Upwork thinking it's a quick way to make cash. Well, you have MILLIONS of people thinking that way, and they're converging onto the platform. Not so quick when you've got lowball clients, scams, and the ever present low ball freelancers. These are observations, not criticisms since it's my responsibility to find a way to freelance on this platform successfully.

Don't give up quite yet. But, I know that's entirely up to you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS