🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Stolen credit card
Page options
bristolavery
Community Member

Stolen credit card

Is there a fraud team for Upwork? This is the ONLY place I have entered my credit card to get paid as a freelancer. I bought some connects. Then the next day my bank account is blowing up with fraud charges from fake Netflix accounts and prepaid phone companies. I feel Upwork has had a breach in their credit card system. This is ridiculous you can’t find a direct way to contact them to tell them their systems may be compromised!!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Ashley D wrote:
I bought some connects. Then the next day my bank account is blowing up with fraud charges from fake Netflix accounts and prepaid phone companies. I feel Upwork has had a breach in their credit card system. This is ridiculous you can’t find a direct way to contact them to tell them their systems may be compromised!!!!!

I think if their credit card system was compromized they'd know about it by now. As would we...

You also do not get paid on a credit card as a freelancer.

I put my card in to buy connects and it allows you to enter it now to get paid instantly as a freelancer! So yes, I entered my card info twice!!! And how do you know if they would know or not? Maybe this is early on in a breach. It happened to TARGET so very likely it can happen at Upwork! I’m sorry you did not contribute anything and don’t appear to know what you’re talking about. You didn’t even know they pay you now by entering your card info. Please only contribute to this if you can help.

Ashley, Privacy and security of our users' information is very important to us. I understand your concerns and I have forwarded it along with your account information to the team for a review. We didn't find any issues on Upwork's end that would cause the issues you're experiencing. One of our agents will also send you a support ticket with more information. Thanks!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I can opt to just receive a paper check for my work correct? I don’t want to put my card info on here anymore. I haven’t left my home in weeks so this was the first time I’ve used my card since we’ve decided to stay home. I’m just saying keep a watch out because it’s just too coincidental that I used my card here and then the next day I had 5 charges from all over the world... India, Africa and US. I have cancelled that card so I’m no longer worried but you may want to keep an eye on these accounts just in case is all I was saying.

Ashley D wrote:
I can opt to just receive a paper check for my work correct?

No, you can't. PayPal or direct to your bank account (rather than via your debit card) You can also use PayPal.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

We aren't aware of any security issues or any similar reports at the moment. The information you provide to us is governed by our Privacy Policy where you can also read about the steps we take to protect and secure it. Additionally, we encourage you to review this article with tips about general electronic security and, if you haven't already, please notify your bank about any suspicious charges you see.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

This was the ONLY place I have entered my card info in weeks being I’ve been home due to COVID. The next day I am getting fraud hits and my bank is calling. Please make sure your accounts are secure!

Ashley D wrote:
This was the ONLY place I have entered my card info in weeks being I’ve been home due to COVID. The next day I am getting fraud hits and my bank is calling. Please make sure your accounts are secure!

( ) For sure real and accurately reported

(x) Doubt

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members