🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Strange Jobs
Page options
asmatmcs
Community Member

Strange Jobs

Hi  all,

Hope you will be staying good and safe.

I am writing about few issues which I am facing from last couple of weeks.

First is there are lot of strange jobs with strange description and budget. For example 

Very new client is posting jobs having budget range $50-90, job cateogry is pdf conversion or data entry. He is also mentioning his/her whatsapp number like +1xxx-xxx-xxxx etc to contact with him/her to know full job detail. I think upwork should filter such jobs and ban such fake clients ( they are just waisting time and connects)

Second I am going to write about the live chat support which is missing at my end. I have read the remarks of so many freelancers having top rated badges but don't have facility of live support/chat. I am also worried about it. Why I am unable to see live support to talk to upwork team directly.

Third and main problem is that I remained top rated plus freelancer for more than 1 year. Now I have top rated badge. I have  spent 70 connect and received just 2-3 non responsive interviews. I work 10-15 hours a day as  I am regular freelancer. If same is the situation of jobs and clients or profile recommendation what will we regular freelancers  do. It's the only bread earning platform. 

We are earning the bread and butter from this prestigoius platform. 

Need the answers and help from support team or old friends. 

Will be very thankful to you.

Best,

Asmat

9 REPLIES 9
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Hi Asmat, yes this scam post and other very similar ones are all over the place here recently and repeatedly. I don't get why the same posts that are identified as a scams and removed by UW are then allowed to be posted again and again. And THEY ARE the same posts from the SAME PEOPLE, and so easy to spot as such. And just to make sure, I occasionally apply to them and sure enough, I get the same message back from them asking me to contact them off UW. It's up to all freelancers to keep flagging them and alerting others about them as you have done here, so thanks for that. And all freelancers should read and follow the ToS and never communicate outside of UW until a contract has been set up.

Yes Peter, you are right. We all should flag and alter others as well. Take care.

4a75f0ca
Community Member

I’m getting asked to purchase items that are more expensive than what the companies contract will reimburse me yet and then now I’m being charged when I never got paid by that company I really don’t understand this.  One of the ugliest parts of humanity is some peoples lack of compassion for others especially preying on people right before the holidays

tlbp
Community Member

Justine M wrote:

I’m getting asked to purchase items that are more expensive than what the companies contract will reimburse me yet and then now I’m being charged when I never got paid by that company I really don’t understand this.  One of the ugliest parts of humanity is some peoples lack of compassion for others especially preying on people right before the holidays

Maybe it isn't a holiday season for them. 

Review all the Upwork rules. Money is supposed to flow one direction and payments stay on the platform to protect freelancers from scams. But, scammers know all the tricks and will use them against those who don't self-educate. 😞 It can be tempting to hope for the best when dealing with clients, but you must also be cautious and consider the worst-case scenario. 

4a75f0ca
Community Member

Thanks for your assistance. Maybe it’s just me after reading and rereading and rereading the terms and agreements I could not find anywhere that said if I did not accept money on a platform how I would owe someone money and I searched high and low you could find that article for me that would be really helpful. Thanks so much I hope you have a great day or night depending on where you’re at sleep with the fish man 😃
tlbp
Community Member

Justine M wrote:
Thanks for your assistance. Maybe it’s just me after reading and rereading and rereading the terms and agreements I could not find anywhere that said if I did not accept money on a platform how I would owe someone money and I searched high and low you could find that article for me that would be really helpful. Thanks so much I hope you have a great day or night depending on where you’re at sleep with the fish man 😃

Can you provide details regarding how you believe that you owe someone money? Maybe break down the process that brought you to this place step by step. Did you have a contract on Upwork? Who is claiming that you owe them money? Do they have any means to collect on this claim? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Justine,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check it and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Justine M wrote:

You need to be more specific about what happened. Did they send a check or what did you purchase?

re: “I’m getting asked to purchase items that are more expensive than what the companies contract will reimburse me yet and then now I’m being charged when I never got paid by that company I really don’t understand this.”

Let’s pretend for a moment that Upwork doesn’t exist... So that we can consider this situation logically…

Were you hired by someone who wants to pay you a little bit of money… but in order for you to do the job, you need to buy stuff. And the amount of money you need to spend to buy stuff is more than what you will get paid. Is that correct?

Why would you want to do that?

If this is what is happening, but you didn’t know this would be the case originally… Can’t you simply block these people?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members