Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange situation and being threatened

Highlighted
Jessica D Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
1 of 8
Hello,
I’m having some trouble with a client and it’s the first major issue I have ever had. I recently wrote an ebook for a client and submitted it back in January. He said everything was excellent paid me and gave me 5 star feedback. The book is also already published on Amazon which I found by accident a bit ago and I even have a psyical copy of it the a family member ordered. He is now messaging me saying I used talk to text for the book and there are a lot of errors. I even sent it to an editor before I sent it to him because I wanted it to be perfect. I also stated many times before finishing the project and a few days afterwords that if any thing looked even a little off I’d fix it ASAP. He started berating me yesterday and threatening me to send him the raw version of the article and got angry when I explained I was out of town on personal vacation and did not carry my laptop because I had already settled my other deadlines before my trip. What do I do? If there’s actually some weird issue I’d be happy to fix it, but the Book has already been published??? I just got top rated status and love working with my other clients and they always seem generally happy with my work?
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
2 of 8

undefined:
Hello,
I’m having some trouble with a client and it’s the first major issue I have ever had. I recently wrote an ebook for a client and submitted it back in January. He said everything was excellent paid me and gave me 5 star feedback. The book is also already published on Amazon which I found by accident a bit ago and I even have a psyical copy of it the a family member ordered. He is now messaging me saying I used talk to text for the book and there are a lot of errors. I even sent it to an editor before I sent it to him because I wanted it to be perfect. I also stated many times before finishing the project and a few days afterwords that if any thing looked even a little off I’d fix it ASAP. He started berating me yesterday and threatening me to send him the raw version of the article and got angry when I explained I was out of town on personal vacation and did not carry my laptop because I had already settled my other deadlines before my trip. What do I do? If there’s actually some weird issue I’d be happy to fix it, but the Book has already been published??? I just got top rated status and love working with my other clients and they always seem generally happy with my work?

Ugh, that's terrible that he's treating you this way, and it's unacceptable.

Report this client to Upwork using the Get Help link on support.upwork.com. Send screenshots of his abusive communications.

Block him in the Upwork messaging app.

And then move on! The contract is paid and closed, and he can't do anything to you.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 8

Jess wrote:

And then move on! The contract is paid and closed, and he can't do anything to you.

That, unfortunately, is not necessarily and always true. The client can still dispute and take it all the way to arbitration under certain circumstances...

I actually started a thread about that very scenario today...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution." —Albert Einstein
Community Guru
4 of 8

undefined:

Jess wrote:

That, unfortunately, is not necessarily and always true. The client can still dispute and take it all the way to arbitration under certain circumstances...

If the money has already been withdrawn and there is clear evidence that the client is abusing and harassing the freelancer, why should the freelancer waste time worrying about such an outlier?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 8

Jess wrote:

Petra wrote:

Jess wrote:

If the money has already been withdrawn and there is clear evidence that the client is abusing and harassing the freelancer, why should the freelancer waste time worrying about such an outlier?

If I guessed the contract in question correctly, I just dont think blocking the client and not responding is the way forward. Big $$$ client with a long history tend to get taken seriously by Upwork.

I would not block a client until I've forwarded the threats to Support.

Outlier or not, it's a fact that clients can apparently dispute contracts that are done and dusted and just blocking the client may very well not make the whole thing go away.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution." —Albert Einstein
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 8

Jessica,

Even if the client can dispute this, IMO you have two real options: 1) Sit tight and not engage with this client. You are unlikely to work for him again, and really all he can do is to take it to arbitration at the worst.

2) You can refund him.

Both options are lousy. If it were me, I would not engage with him and wait see if he disputes. If he threatens you, then you must certainly report him. 

I don't  think you should offer to improve or correct the book. You are unlikely to please him whatever you do.

(Judging from the job offer, I think it was very brave of you to have taken it on in the first place.)

Community Guru
7 of 8

undefined:

If I guessed the contract in question correctly, I just dont think blocking the client and not responding is the way forward. Big $$$ client with a long history tend to get taken seriously by Upwork.

I would not block a client until I've forwarded the threats to Support.

Outlier or not, it's a fact that clients can apparently dispute contracts that are done and dusted and just blocking the client may very well not make the whole thing go away. 

That was the first thing I said: "Report this client to Upwork using the Get Help link on support.upwork.com. Send screenshots of his abusive communications."

The freelancer can't do anything more in this situation. That's the whole point.

99% of situations like this, with the contract paid and closed, not to mention an abusive client, go nowhere. As long as the freelancer covers her bases, keeps records, reports abusive behavior, etc, she should feel just fine about blocking him and moving on. It's up to the client if he really wants to take it any further, and evidence of abuse leaves him on very thin ice.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Jessica, 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. 

It's the client's responsibility to check the work and ask for modifcations before the contract is completed. If something was out of whack, that would have been the time to address it. That's the way it works and anyone adult who sets out to hire a freelancer on this board should know that. 

I'm not sure about the contract details, but if you were a writer on the project, getting it edited yourself in addition to writing it was probably over and above what you were responsible for.  

The suggestion that you got a whole book done using talk to text sounds completely insane. You probably won't be able communicate in a constructive way with someone who's coming at you in the way you've described.  Contact support and report the cllient's behavior. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS