🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Struggling to differentiate a real contract/b...
Page options
96dc6c8d
Community Member

Struggling to differentiate a real contract/business deal and a scam

I received a message to serve as a beta tester for a gambling business on matched betting. I looked at the client's info,**Edited for community guidelines**, I see some information that seems revelant and I do have an offer on my job page, but the contract is asking for personally identifiable information(DOB, address etc). Before I sign my life away, I just want to know that is this standard practice and is there something I should be looking out for?

I searched for Upwork policies on screening out scamming clients/companies and couldn't find anything specific. Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

This client has spent over $10,000 on Upwork, has a 4.9 average rating from freelancers, and has an average hourly pay of over $22/hr.

These are not typical things we see with scammers and scoundrels.

On the other hand... asking for your date of birth and address... these are highly unusual questions for an Upwork client to ask.

My guess would be that since the project is basd around testing a gambling site, some states have laws against gambling and you have to be 21 to gamble. I'm guessing this is why the client is asking for that information. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
JoanneP

Hi Linda,

If you are in doubt, you can report it to us so our team can review it. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members