🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Struggling to find new clients on Upwork
Page options
robertomasala
Community Member

Struggling to find new clients on Upwork

Good Morning all,

I am a freelancer, and I've worked remotely for 7+ years. A couple of months ago, I signed on Upwork, and I've completed the profile, added reviews from past clients, samples of my previous work, etc. I landed one job; however, I find it difficult to find more clients.

I tried to increase-decrease prices, respond to the most recent job offers, write a detailed cover letter showing my interest in the job, my skills, and samples of my previous work, but people are not responding.

I am an experienced audio engineer and video editor well versed in content creation and audio/video editing. Any tips on how to get some jobs on the platform? What's your experience?

7 REPLIES 7
kinector
Community Member

My two coconuts on this topic is this. 

Most new Upworkers (regardless of how much success they had elsewhere) believe that things over here work like things elsewhere... particularly if you have mostly focused on local clients (people you have a business relationship with).

Your profile title suggest you do many things. This is not a productive approach over here. Pick something very specific. Do you want to stand out as an audio engineer or a graphic designer? 

For both those capabilities, there are thousands of others competing with you for the same jobs. What's your competitive advantage? 

The only way to the top over here is to offer something specific.

For the first 3 years on Upwork I did nothing but application development on Microsoft Kinect 3D sensor. 

So, already after the first half a year, anyone looking for Kinect development saw me as the most specialized Kinect developer on this platform. 

Later on, as my track record had nice numbers in it, I started changing the specialty as I liked. Currently doing maybe my fourth niche over here.

So, in short, become a highly specialized expert by doing one thing first. Then expand. 

Good luck! 👍

Thank you for your comment Mikko.

I also see some freelancers here on Upwork are offering multiple services and are great at both, but probably they were first very successful in providing one of the services at first as you said, and then they expanded.

I am strong in Audio editing and Content creation, but I do get what you mean. I am still in the learning process here so any advice on how the platform works is very much appreciated. 

Have a wonderful day!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Pick a lane -- design or a/v editing. Getting established on UW is about claiming a niche. Take a look at the pool of FLs working successfully and profitably in each of those categories--their credentials and qualifications, what they're charging, the kinds of projects and clients they are finding--and decide where your best prospects lie. You can expand your offerings later, once you're established. 

It may seem counterintuitive but the long, detailed cover letter does not serve you here. UW proposals are exercises in short-attention-span theater. Depending on the job post and category, a client may be bombarded with several dozen proposals and they only see the first couple lines of each one unless they click it open. If they do, your objective is to prompt them to click over to your profile and then respond to you, opening a dialogue about the project during which you mutually vet each other and you have an opportunity to close the deal (or gracefully withdraw). I very rarely write more than 1-2 brief paragraphs, maybe 125 words at the most and often more like 50-75--all about how I would approach their project and what else I need to know to scope it properly. I invite them to schedule a call or chat if they'd like to discuss specifics, thank for their time, and move one with my life. 

Good luck!

Thank you for your message, Phyllis, and I hope you had an amazing weekend.  I know many people are out there making a living with Upwork, so your message is very encouraging and helpful. 

I am spending 30 to 50 minutes on average to write a great cover letter for each proposal, including some samples of my previous work. However, I've also tried with shorter and very on-point messages, always offering to go on a Zoom call but still no luck. 

Someone says that it takes six months before everything starts working, so the goal is to keep on sending proposals and be among the first who respond to a job offer. Also, do you think a video presentation is going to enhance my profile and help me get more gigs?

Thank you again for your great help. I wish you a wonderful Christmas. 

In addition to what Tonya said, which is all excellent advice... I rarely spend longer than 5-10 minutes on a proposal and often less than five. That includes gleaning what I can from their job post and sussing out the person and/or company if there are clues to work from; reviewing any materials they've provided to help understand the task at hand; and writing a short cover letter with goal of getting them to respond and schedule a call or chat. Ideally my profile shows what I do and my proposal outlines how I would approach their project and indicates I know more about how to do it than they do, much less other FLs who are bidding on it.

tlbp
Community Member

Rob M wrote:

Good Morning all,

I am a freelancer, and I've worked remotely for 7+ years. A couple of months ago, I signed on Upwork, and I've completed the profile, added reviews from past clients, samples of my previous work, etc. I landed one job; however, I find it difficult to find more clients.

I tried to increase-decrease prices, respond to the most recent job offers, write a detailed cover letter showing my interest in the job, my skills, and samples of my previous work, but people are not responding.

I am an experienced audio engineer and video editor well versed in content creation and audio/video editing. Any tips on how to get some jobs on the platform? What's your experience?

If you are going to combine all those skills, then explain the deliverables rather than the tech stack. 

For example, if I did graphics plus writing (I do not), I wouldn't list all my technical skills. Instead, I'd promote myself as someone who can complete all the elements of their email or ebook from design to copy. 

What did you produce during the 10 years you used these skills? You need to target people who want those types of things produced. They aren't going to be searching for your tech stack, but for the deliverable they want (vlog, podcast, IG stories... whatever.) 

Upwork clients care less about who you are and more about what you can do for them, how well, how fast and for how much. 

Thank you for your message and sound advice, Tonya. 

I understand what you mean here - If I have multiple skills, I should be the one that not only edits the audio of a podcast but also creates additional content for their socials like audio snippets taken from the podcast converted into short videos, adding the podcast as a video on YouTube, etc, designing the cover, so combining all my skills to give the potential client a complete package. 

I agree with you, and I am trying to do this,  already offering potential clients audio editing services and some content creation for socials, but as of now that approach it's not working.  The thing is that the client is focused on the now, and getting that job done ASAP, and adding/offering extra services is making me a less strong candidate, or I think that's my impression.  

What did you produce during the ten years you used these skills? You need to target people who want those types of things produced.

Yeah, I am already doing that. I am offering them exactly what they want. 

Upwork clients care less about who you are and more about what you can do for them, how well, how fast, and for how much.

100% agree with you on this. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members