cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid questions from the list of questions: how do you answer them?

gareth_esutera
Greten Vicke E Member Since: Nov 27, 2008
1 of 13
We know that clients have this liberty of adding additional questions aside from the cover letter (and even eliminate the cover letter field). Good clients will craft questions that are directly related to the job. Unfortunately, many just rely on picking from among those HR-ish questions that ODesk provide. Fortunately, I have yet to see someone who use only canned questions while at the same time demanding a fully customized cover letter. Anyway, I was just wondering how you guys would answer these stupid questions: "Why did you apply to this particular job?" Are there any more impressive ways to answer this aside from along the lines of "You posted a job with certain requirements that my skills can provide"? I mean, seriously, what are clients thinking? That we look for their particular job from among several jobs? Instead of looking for jobs that WE CAN DO? A closely similar question but worse: "why do you want to work with me?" Huh! Hello!? What makes this client think that freelancers are looking for him or her in particular instead of say, just looking for jobs that they can do. Another stupid question: "Have you taken any oDesk tests and done well on them that you think are relevant to this job?" What the [expletive here]!? Are clients now too lazy to check the contractor profile? Now, I'm not sure if this one is a canned question from ODesk or something that the client manually encoded but it does not totally make sense to me. "How do you think you are creative?" What is the question again? Are you asking for proof of my creativity or are you asking how I think in a creative manner? So, let the roll ball. What stupid questions did you encounter and how did you deal with them?
testsandeep
Community Leader
Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
2 of 13
One more: "Do you have any Suggestions"
elizabeth17va
Ruth Elizabeth B Member Since: Jun 9, 2014
3 of 13
Right? Suggestions to make the project run successfully. The ones who use this question are fairly vague about their projects to begin with, so how are you supposed to tell them how to make it run successfully?! Elizabeth
gareth_esutera
Greten Vicke E Member Since: Nov 27, 2008
4 of 13
My answer to that is "Please provide more details so that we can easily determine our expectations from each other."
elizabeth17va
Ruth Elizabeth B Member Since: Jun 9, 2014
5 of 13
That's a good response Greten Smiley Happy Elizabeth
testsandeep
Community Leader
Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
6 of 13
My reply is: "Yes" Isn't it short and sweet.
rumakidesign
Ace Contributor
Susan B Member Since: Mar 28, 2009
7 of 13
[quote=Ruth elizabeth B.]Right? Suggestions to make the project run successfully. The ones who use this question are fairly vague about their projects to begin with, so how are you supposed to tell them how to make it run successfully?! Elizabeth[/quote] I hate most of the canned questions, especially if I have a cover letter - they tend to duplicate it. But the suggestions for the project to run successfully is actually a good one as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps it depends on the type of job, but I think it allows me to show that I'm not some rank amateur and that I think and work professionally. There are a lot of new people posting jobs on oDesk and any understanding of the process will really help them, and you in return. And yes, sometimes this question comes with the vaguest of vague jobs, so the first part of the answer is to learn more about the job - while still in the interview process.
kazi-shahin
Kazi S Member Since: Jan 7, 2015
8 of 13

so right you are! Most clients who ask this questions provide a vague description!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
9 of 13
Which part of this project will take the most time? I am in the transcription field. What else can I say other than the transcription takes the most time lol.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
10 of 13
The pre-written questions are so annoying! I often end up repeating myself.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS